Topic

Inreach Mini Gen 1 or Gen 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inreach Mini Gen 1 or Gen 2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I am following Ryan’s evaluation of the new Garmin Inreach Messenger.  He talks about generation 1 of the Mini not being able to be updated to use the new phone app.  How do I tell which generation of Mini that I have?  The hardware version is 4.o and firmware version is 3.80.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

The mini 2 only came out in Feb of this year and has usbC charging port instead of the micro usb of the original. The case also says mini 2.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Darn, I have the old one,  thanks.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

You’re welcome. I’m in the same boat. Will I upgrade to the mini 2, probably eventually but no rush. I don’t do the volume of messaging or large group coordination where the new capabilities will make much of a difference. While it may have been possible to make the new app work with the original I can understand garmin not wanting to cannibalize newer device sales.    The orig meets my expectations and needs, never had any problems and it works well with my instinct watch(a major reason for deciding on that one). The mini 2 will just do it a little better plus a little extra.The new messenger device seems more designed and priced to win back some market share zoleo was getting with their lower cost, less capable overall but more message focused  unit. I would not be surprised to see more discounts soon on the zoleo. While I’m sure garmin was able to leverage some of the mini 2 development work into creating the messenger not sure if zoleo has similar  resources to quickly get a 2nd gen device out.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I can understand garmin not wanting to cannibalize newer device sales.
    So can I, BUT remember the saying: if you don’r cannibilase your own product sales, someone else will!
    It is never a good idea to leave a hole in the market place.

Cheers

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

I do wonder if it is a hardware issue. With the new app not working with original mini they seem to be trying to frequently sell the original at a discounted rate. I’m sure it all looked good on a PowerPoint slide.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I connected my Mini 1 to the new Messenger app-IOS. It didn’t appear to be anything special and I prefer an all in one app-Earthmate-than having multiple.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools