Topic

Inreach Explorer tracking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Inreach Explorer tracking

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

Does the Inreach Explorer with GPS have the ability to track your route and store it in the unit so you can view it later? I know it has the tracking feature that can pay extra for, but I am interested in the cheap plan which does not include it. I’m not interested in sharing the route in real time for people at home. I just want to look at it after a trip.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Short answer. Yes.

Long answer from the manual for setting tracking (i highlighted parts in bold):

Tracking – Choose how frequently Track Points are sent to the Explore website via satellite. Choose a time interval between 10 minutes and 4 hours. Extreme Plan users have additional interval options of 2 and 5 minutes. Choose how frequently Track Points are logged on the inReach device. There are two Tracking Log intervals: While Sending and Logging Only. Configure the While Sending interval to control how frequently Track Points are stored on the device while you are sending track points to the Explore and MapShare sites. Configure the Logging Only interval to control how frequently log points are stored on the device even when the Track Points aren’t being transmitted via satellite to the Explore site. The Logging Only interval defaults to always log track points, but you have the option to turn it of.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

PERFECT! Thanks. I couldn’t find it on the website. I never thought to look for a manual.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Not sure if it matters to you, but there seems to be a current issue with the new Explorer+ syncing with Macs. Anybody own one with a Mac experiencing syncing issues?

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

The on-device tracking  (bread crumb track) works just like a Garmin gps.  You can set the track interval anywhere from a point every second for very fine grained tracks or larger intervals between points which gives you more continous days of tracking because it uses less onboard storage.  You can clear old track points from your device to free up storage space on the Explorer. The tracks can be downloaded to a gpx file.  You can also load gpx files up to the Explorer and use them for reference tracks (route planning).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools