Topic

InReach and battery failure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) InReach and battery failure

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Finally got around to trying the soft reset + sync on my old inReach SE — and that didn’t entirely solve the problem.

Most of the time a long press on the checkmark button shows the screen that requires a cursor move and another button press to power on the device. However, sometimes (no consistent pattern) a long press on the checkmark button powers the system up fully, without further confirmation.

And who knows how long until every long press again turns on the system without confirmation, and another soft reset + sync will be required.

Frustrating! Maybe the cut-down shampoo bottle or similar hack is next on my list.

— Rex

Michael S
    Spectator

@msifford

Hi All,

This is how I use my device while on an extended wilderness trip (5-10 days).

1. Charge device before trip.
    2. Leave device off while hiking and turn on to report location or send message then turn off.

This method will keep the device charged to approx. 70% even on a ten day trip. This will give plenty of reserve battery power in case of a real emergency.

I also always bring a ResQLink PLB as a backup while in remote areas. This device has a 121.5 mhz locator beacon that any search and rescue aircraft can search for using an ADF. This feature works for 28 hours.

Be Safe

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Hi Michael –

As demonstrated above , the issue here is that inadvertent pressure on the “Check” key can sometimes bring the unit into full operating mode without any other key strokes.  Sometimes OFF isn’t really OFF, and results in a dead battery.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Also, a reminder about another surprise – Even when the unit is OFF and the SOS slider is in the “locked” position, pressure on the SOS button will Power-Up the unit,  initiate a call for help – and eventually kill your battery.

YouTube video

I should have closed with “OFF May not be OFF, but LOCKED is not LOCKED”

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools