Topic

Incredible blisters – Healing, training, prevention

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Incredible blisters – Healing, training, prevention

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Joshua B
    BPL Member

@leukos

Locale: Indy

Oversized shoes, thin nylon dress socks, and keeping hydrated (and hence my skin hydrated) are pretty effective blister prevention for me.  If shopping for gaiters, I have been a fan of the Simblissity LevaGaiter for years.  You don’t have to remove your shoes to take them on and off, no cord under the shoe, and it stays in place the entire hike.  The website shows out of stock, but shoot them an email and they can find a pair for you.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Even the best “sports stores” are not going to bring you the shoes that will fit. They just won’t. You have to be really super assertive and insistent to them. They will tell you a lot of bullshit about fit that just doesn’t hold up. They also will not have in stock any men’s wide shoes in a size small enough for me. I have had to settle for shoes up to 4 sizes too big.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

“Tincture of Iodine and Tincture of Benzoin are two completely different things.”

True, Benzoin tincture looks like Iodine but it’s not. I meant Benzoin. As I mentioned.

So, tincture of Benzion. Put it on as you weep by the rivers of Babylon. Blisters are painful!

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I just did 12 miles hiking around the front country with a 25lb training pack this weekend and developed hot spots which has never happened before. I think among my other follies my shoes are dead.

New pair coming this week, I’ll repeat the hikes and see how I feel. When they were new I did 23 miles one day with only one minor toe blister so after thinking about it I think they’ve passed their back country usefulness and I’ll save them for <5 mile hikes with the wife.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Diane

They will tell you a lot of bullshit about fit that just doesn’t hold up. They also will not have in stock any men’s wide shoes in a size small enough for me. I have had to settle for shoes up to 4 sizes too big.

Have you tried https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/? They are ‘the’ web outlet for NB. Search on your size and width.

As for recommendations from the staff at sports stores:

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools