Topic

In the market for a sleeping pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) In the market for a sleeping pad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Terry B
    BPL Member

@terrybryan1

My trusty Evolite Thermarest sleeping pad has finally bit the dust. One of the baffles failed and now multiple adjacent baffles are failing. So I’m in the market for a new sleeping pad. I’m a recent quilt user (still getting used to the setup). I’m also a side/stomach sleeper. My wife has the Thermarest NeoAir Xlite; and while I like it, it seems a little too “airy” to me. I loved the soft feel of my Thermarest Evolite. Bit it seems The modern comparable pads are too heavy. Any recommendations?

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

I’d be curious what folks think of the Nemo Tensor as an option.  Insulated mummy versions at about a pound, R value = 3.5, quiet/non-crinkly, 3″ thick for side sleepers…

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

The Tensor is the most comfortable of the ones I tried but the 20D fabric needs to be used carefully.  I had 10 nights on it and then took it to the desert and got a tiny leak from a thorn, I presume, even though I was being very careful and using a CCF underneath it.

@Terry
    B, have you looked a the Thermarest Apex, might be close enough to your old Evolite

Andrew K
    BPL Member

@andrewk1224

I’m a side Sleeper while falling asleep, and usually wake up on my stomach. The nemo tensor has been the most comfortable for me so far. At 6’2″ 195lbs the long/wide version works great for me. No issues with punctures yet “knocks on wood* but I’m normally pretty diligent with scoping out my tent area for sharp stuff. I found mine used on eBay for about $80 which turned out to be a steal.

Terry B
    BPL Member

@terrybryan1

Thanks for the feedback all. The Nemo Tensor is a new one to me. I might head down to REI to feel them out for myself. Depending on how they all feel I revert back to a self inflating one like the Evolite or Thermarest Apex ($5 to @abhitt). Seems like Sea to Summit has a lightweight self inflating one (at 18 oz.). Although I’d like to avoid that kind of weight, the comfort trade off might be worth it. Does anybody know any other options for the light weight self inflating pad?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools