Topic

In Search of GPS app for Apple iPhone that supports UK Grid and Swiss Grid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) In Search of GPS app for Apple iPhone that supports UK Grid and Swiss Grid

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am planning a walking trip to the UK and then to Switzerland. Looking for a GPS app for my iPhone that supports UK Grid and the Swiss Grid since I also like to use paper maps! I normally use Gaia but cannot find anywhere that it supports anything but UTM Grid and I don’t want to do the conversions in my head while in the field.
    Thx

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

ViewRanger is the definitive app for the uk and most of Europe

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Kind of off-topic, but you have to drive on roads to get to any trailhead:

For driving around the countryside, and walking around cities, I’ve been very happy with the app maps.me for years now.  You download the data into your device before your trip (or anywhere with wifi) so you don’t incur any data charges while overseas.  The level of detail is impressive (like paths within city parks and that little lane behind the houses for the garbage bins), the search function decent (“hardware store” or “grocery”, “bakery” or “museum” finds those things in Italy, France or Iceland), and the route finding on roads from A to B puts a little moving arrow on the map as you drive along, even when you’re out of cell coverage.  That’s been very helpful a few times in remote Costa Rica or Cuba and downtown Rome by avoiding wrong turns (by us or the cab driver) or letting us notice in a hundred meters if we’d missed a turn.

It has trails on it, but not in great detail and lacks the topographic data you’d want in real trail app, but it’s been helpful a few times for day hikes on otherwise non-hiking trips both by letting us know there was a trail in the area and to distinguish between choices at trail junctions.

Even around the USA, while I usually use the native mapping app on the phone, that will crap out when I get out of cell-phone data range and, annoyingly, forgets the data it JUST HAD before I tried to zoom or scroll the map.  Grrr.  Maps.me never has that problem. If the device can see enough sky to get a GPS fix, it works.

Again, I’m not recommending it as a hiking app, but for driving, cab rides, and city walking I’m been very happy with it.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

I am increasingly impressed with OpenHikingMap found in GAIA and also the Garmin Earthmate app. It nails a lot of trails and obscure paths not found elsewhere. But no UK or Swiss Grid.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@ Rick. thanks. I shall check it out

@ Cameron. I played with Garmin Earthmate and could not figure out if it displayed UK Grid or Swiss Grid. I had a back and forth with Garmin tech support about the Garmin Inreach which only displays lat/long or UTM.  The Garmin guy said just find a conversion app on the web. :-))  All I want is for the smart phone to tell me my UK or Swiss Grid coordinates.

@ David. I always find your posts thoughtful and informative even when a bit off topic. :-))

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

@btolley, ask the question over on trek-lite.com, a UK based forum, and I think you’ll get a lot more suggestions. Or browse previous threads over there; there’s probably something already. I know there are apps that just give you your OS (UK grid) coordinates without mapping if you’re just looking to confirm your position on a paper map.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

This thread has some suggestions, such as OS locate.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

Bruce, here is the ViewRanger Settings/Map/Grid screenshot.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Thanks Rick!

I installed it last night and have been playing with it (and ignoring the in-app purchase pitch of $89 for maps of the US.).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools