Topic

In hunt for new hiking poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) In hunt for new hiking poles

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

Hello comrades!

I was posting a lot… 3 years ago, so hope all the old folks are still here. This forum is a gemstone.

So after quite a lot of miles (many many miles) my Locus Gear CP3 finally died. I’m searching for a new pair. Would be glad to get another LocusGear CP3, but their manufacturing capacity struggles with current orders and they are full for another half a year! Times are crazy.

GG LT5 are nice but twice the price!

My shelters are: Duplex and Ultamid 4. Thinking of getting a *-mid for 2 persons as well, not sure which one.

I’m a short person at 5’5 (~165cm)

I loved flip locks on my Locus Gear CP3. They worked so well! I never used GG poles (too pricey for me) but even if I would get them, I’m concerned about their twist locks.

Definitely need something light (less than or around 150 grams per pole ~5.5 oz).  Anyway I was not following gear trends for ~3 years and I will appreciate if you could tell me if there is something new.

Thank you! If I missed some input please comment and I will add

Kindest regards and best weather on your trails!

Greg

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I remember you – Are you still in Israel?  I love my GG LT4’s and am dreading snapping one (I’ve been through a couple).  For what it’s worth, here’s my suggestion:  Order a pair of the Locus Gear CP3 and wait the 6 months for them.  In the meantime buy an inexpensive pair to use that can become either backups or a set for a friend hiking with you.  I bought these Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber poles for my daughters and, for $35 per pair, are really nice.

In the end you’ll have what you know you really like and you’ll hopefully get years out of the new set of CP3’s as well and you won’t have squandered too much money on throw-away poles.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

Take a look at Ruta Locura. They’re two-piece, so that cuts down the weight. I find they stow fine on the side of my pack or in my trekking pole holster.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The twist locks on the GG LT5 are just fine. I own a pair. Though I do not use them, my son uses them when he comes out with me. A pole tip did snap one time.. but we replaced the lower section.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Dirtbag, Have never owned a twist lock that was not a PITA, so am bit shy about going there, especially when others have had the GG’s break.  Also, only use one pole, so weight is less of an issue, and is trumped by strength.  Would definitely not want the one pole to break, as it could be disastrous if in sketchy terrain.

The one I do use is a Yukon Charlie carbon, not as cheap as the Cascade Mtn, but close.  The cam locks work great with never a problem, and the lower sections have metal cladding.  The foam grip, however, is garbage, and put in some serious boiling to remove it, remove a much better foam grip with extensions from a European ski touring pole, and glue it on the Charlie – total weight being 7.5 oz, which is not a problem when using just one pole.

Then more recently there was yet another post about the carbon Cascade Mtns., and for the price, ordered a pair, with the same type of grip, and was surprised at how solid the grips are.  The cam locks also work perfectly.  Will continue with the modified pole as I like the security of the metal clad reinforcements, but now have a couple back up poles.  Will invest some time with one of them on day hikes over rocky terrain and see how they do.

Somewhere, have a Locus pole that was ordered years ago, but never use it.  The take apart poles are popular; but the cam locks are great for quickly and easily adjusting pole length.  Not for trekking pole tents, but for supporting awnings that provide comfy places to cook and eat in howling weather, not to mention the ability to make quick and easy changes of pole length  on the fly.  So am in pole heaven with back-ups.  No need to pony up for more.

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

Gregory, did they tell you it would be that long?  Their website says they’ll be back in stock in mid-July.

I’ve been using cp3s for years, and I personally think they’re hard to beat when you balance cost, weight, and quality.  If I were in your situation, I think I would follow Kevin’s excellent suggestion.  Get the poles you want, with a set of inexpensive but decent quality backup poles.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Therefor.. definitely would NOT go with LT5s!!

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

Gregory, my experience over many years with the GG LT4 poles was positive. Not uncommon with carbon, I did snap both poles last year (user error), but the twist locks were reliable and secure throughout their lifetime, and I find the GG foam grips to be just right.

To stay within your weight range (~5.5 ounces per pole) you are looking at GG LT5 or the Ruta Locura Yana poles mentioned earlier unless you go for a fixed length pole. You would probably enjoy a lighter option, but if you are sold on the CP3s they may be worth the wait.

To answer your question generally, I would say that besides a few new options, the trekking pole market has been a little stagnant in the last few years, at least in the ultralight category. Personally, I wish we had more two section pole choices since I rarely add them to my pack. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I have had the Fizan Compact 3 (now available at Amazon for about $60). Over several hundred miles of New England hiking, I haven’t had any issues with them slipping and the shafts have been rather durable. Slippage was a concern when buying, but no longer.

I also purchased a few sets of the Cascade Mountain Tech Black Ultralight for about $25 around Christmas as gifts for several relatives, including my son. I borrowed them from him a couple of times and they have worked well. The flick lock has a plastic nut, which Skurka had mentioned can break on the other poles from this brand, so I assume it’s the same here. The lock does look overall flimsier than what you get from the more reputable manufacturers. But it’s an easy fix at the hardware store. Now these poles are $60…

Cascade Mountain Tech Trekking Poles – Carbon Fiber Walking or Hiking Sticks with Quick Adjustable Locks https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B086R8FM6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_TZNMV7Z5CN3NJ6JS5TP7?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’ve owned and used extensively Cascade Mountaineering carbon fiber hiking poles for about 6 years with NO problems. They are not the lightest CF poles but they are very durable. Their two clamps have always worked well and are easily adjustable for clamping pressure adjustment.

I cut off the foam covering below the grips B/C I never use them. Instead, just below the grips,  I attached the clamp-on Quick stiX Delrin discs that instantly make my poles into a secure bipod rest for hunting.

These hiking poles come with two tip covers and two baskets, summer and winter sizes.  And the price (at COSTCO) was under $50. at the time. Prices have risen since then but are still very reasonable.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I have CP3s and love them. I am buying my wife / my backup pair of the cascade mtn tech UL poles because they’re $65 and 5.5oz.

https://cascademountaintech.com/collections/hiking-trekking-poles/products/carbon-fiber-2-section-hiking-trekking-poles

(Buy direct – Don’t buy them from Amazon. They are the devil.)

One difference between the LT5 and CP3 I heard once – the LT5 has a larger diameter, thinner wall carbon tube. This leads to high stiffness but low flex and higher fragility.

Conversely, the CP3 has a slightly smaller diameter thicker wall tube. This leads to more flex and lower stiffness but less fragility/  higher abuse tolerance.

I have a few hundred miles on my  CP3s and think the locks will wear out before anything else (knock on wood)

The one gripe I have is the inner part of the male pole section vibrates slightly if you swing the pole down. It’s not a big annoyance,  but a twist lock pole inherently cannot have this rattle.

Overall, I’ll buy the Cascade UL poles next and go back to CP3s if they aren’t up to snuff.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I used LLBean twist lock poles for years. They are still functional, but harder to twist with all the abrasion. Now I’m using the Costco ones – Cascade mountain. They’re fine too. I don’t see a reason to go high end on poles, tbh. Even those that are heavier than others – who cares! They’re not on your back. Their task is minimal so I don’t sweat the purchase decision the way I would a tent or sleeping bag.

Robert Spencer
    BPL Member

@bspencer

Locale: Sierras of CA and deserts of Utah

AK Granola, you take that back immediately! Every piece of gear has to be researched and debated to the last gram!

But seriously, I would say pole weight matters even more than items on your back because it’s in motion most of the time hiking.  Same reason that weight saved on a bicycle wheel is more valuable than weight saved on a seat post.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I have a pair of GG LT4, and have had them for years. I’ve found this to be the best twist-lock mechanism I’ve used, but eventually it wears out. I also own the Locus Gear CP3, and much prefer the locking mechanism. Overall though, I prefer the GG. I feel like they are similar in terms of strength, and the straps on the GG are much nicer. I tend to use the Locus Gear when I travel on an airplane (and need to get the poles super compact).

I wish someone made a two-piece, flip-lock pole with the GG straps. Black Diamond makes some good straps as well.

Just about every pole can break. Rarely (if ever) have I had a pole that broke, and thought “if only I had a different pole”, or the opposite (“thank goodness I had this pole, not my other one”). This goes for aluminum poles as well. The one exception is the really heavy duty pair of poles I own for winter scrambling. Those are practically indestructible, but heavy.

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

It looks like LG will have CP3s back in stock by mid-July. I also use CP3s and don’t think there is anything better unless you need serious durability and go up a level in strength/weight (e.g. carbon corks).

Why not put in an order for CP3s and get some of those Cascade ULs for the interim. Pretty cheap and will make great loaners/backups/gift when your new CP3s arrive.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Ha! I’ve yet to have sore arms from using trekking poles. And you’re right, for BPLers, no item is too small not to be endlessly debated. Entertaining, for sure!

David Sugeno
    BPL Member

@davesugeno

Locale: Central Texas

the straps on the GG are much nicer

How old are you cp3s?  Mine have pretty crappy wrist straps, but I’ve noticed they’ve changed the straps recenlty, they look wider and more comfortable.

Ha! I’ve yet to have sore arms from using trekking poles. And you’re right, for BPLers, no item is too small not to be endlessly debated. Entertaining, for sure!

Agreed!  Personally, I find the light swing weight of the cp3s to be prefereable to heavier poles I’ve used in the past (Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork).  But many folks find the weight difference negligible.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

How old are you cp3s? Mine have pretty crappy wrist straps, but I’ve noticed they’ve changed the straps recenlty, they look wider and more comfortable.

Good point. Mine are old too, and they do look nicer now.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

The weight and price of CP3s are impressive. Ive had several diff BD and Leki poles. Happy with the poles themselves, but old school nylon wrist straps get stiff and uncomforable over the years. Leki now uses microfiber straps that mold to the hand, very flexible and comfortable on all day sweat fest. I use poles with the UK method, so straps are very important. Next time I need new poles the CP3 will be the go-to.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Haven’t tried them or seen them in person but IMO the CNOC branded carbon poles look to be a greater quality fit and finish than the others offered. I’ve used BD poles, cp3, cascade, myog, etc.

Little up there in price: https://cnocoutdoors.com/collections/trekking-poles

Mudjester
    BPL Member

@mudjester

I’ve used GG LT4s for over a decade, so I do like them. Especially the corkish grips. However, I find the locking mechanism to be a pain to adjust, even if it is well-designed. Most always have to totally unscrew and separate the shafts – with a pop-, then retighten before reinserting to adjust. I’m now also using Fixan Compact 3s, which adjust MUCH quicker. That said, my current concern is about the vulnerability of inner adjustment mechanisms of these kinds of poles vs the exterior locking cams, which seem more robust. If an inner plastic adjuster fails, I lose a tent pole…ugh.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I’ve never had – nor heard of – a problem, so it may be packing your fears, but you could always carry these with you.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

The Costco Cascade Mountain poles might just be the greatest bargain of all. A couple of days ago I used my rewards balance to buy a pair for my best friend’s birthday. The price with tax was around $38. The one thing I’ve noticed is that the little plastic screws could be the weak link – if one of them broke, it could be a fatal flaw, especially if you use the poles to  support your tent. So I’ve replaced all of those screws with wing nuts from Home Depot. Problem solved!

As an aside, do you folks remember the BPL Stix fixed length poles? When Ryan was getting out of the business of selling gear, I picked up a few pair of those poles when they were heavily discounted. They were the wrong length though, and I finally decided to alter them. I boiled the handles to remove the foam grips, then I cut the shafts to proper length. I re-glued the foam handles, and I now have several pair of perfect poles. I have one other pair of poles, which are quite long. I have used them for snowshoeing. But I don’t like the fact that they could easily break if I did an awkward face plant. So I might decide to cut them to proper length for hiking poles.

I think that the Stix poles and the Thorofare shirts were Ryan’s greatest hits back in the day.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Cascade aluminum trekking poles are available for $20.00 right now on amazon. I bought a pair for use in my local hikes because, well, they were $20.00. My other poles are the GGlt 4’s. Like many, I broke the tip on one on a trip. And then again the following season. And then never again. I learned how to not do that anymore.

The Sierra are very rocky. When a tip wedges between rocks when placed forward, the natural movement of the arm and wrist ‘levers’ the pole forward as you step ahead and, snap, the tip breaks.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I too have the GG LT4’s and one of the things I like about them is the lack of a wrist strap.  Hiking in PA (also rocky, but not quite like the Sierras) I’ve gotten pretty good at leaving my pole standing alone in the air until I can go back and extract it using the same angle as when it became stuck.  I haven’t broken a tip yet (knock on wood).

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools