Topic

I’m using a forehead thermometer strip for fuel canister safety. Good idea?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I’m using a forehead thermometer strip for fuel canister safety. Good idea?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

I’ve been building up my UL canister fuel winter snow melting kit and have settled on using the copper wire moulder strip to keep the canister isobutane at high enough of a temp to work properly. One concern I’ve had is in being able to monitor the canister temp, at least to the point of warning if close to too hot.

Since canisters are only “good” up to 120*F according to the warning label, I figured the thermometer strips for foreheads would be perfect, since they often start at around 95*F and are very visible when activated. They go up to 105 or so, but the extra temps can be cut off.

It weighs so little, my scale can’t even register it. Basically as heavy as a piece of paper the same size.

I have mine stuck on the canister with food container plastic cling wrap.

Any thoughts on why this would not be a good idea? Is 95* still cutting it too close to 120?

I also figure I would place it closer to the moulder strip, so it reads a higher temp than what is in the canister net-wise, for even more safety margin.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Nothing wrong with using that, especially if it gives you any peace of mind.

But it’s the canister below the liquid level that determines the canister’s pressure, not the top of the canister in the vapor-filled head space.  If the lower portion of the canister isn’t hot to the touch, you’re fine.  While that might be possible to acheive on a hot day, with no wind, and lots of reflected heat due to a wind screen, you’re only using a Moulder Strip when its at or below freezing.

120F (and not climbing) wouldn’t bother me but I’ve never seen it / felt it **at liquid level**.  95F is just fine.  Remember, Roger had to take one to 208F to explode it (YMMV).

“the extra temps can be cut off”.  Not only do ULer shortern their toothbrushes, we shorten our thermometers!

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

Thanks for the reply, David.

I will make sure to place it on the bottom edge. I have a thick copper wire that goes down to the bottom edge and wraps around 1/4 circle along the canister.

I figure that once I have enough time using the setup at all sorts of temps and wind conditions, and it never heats up to 95*, then I can just leave the temp gauge off from then on, at least until a major factor changes in the system. It can be tough to gauge the temp of something warm when wearing my polypropylene and nitrile vapor barrier glove system that stays on all day.

Oh, and not only can one cut off the higher temps, but one can also cut open the Celsius half. I’m pretty sure it lets the maple syrup leak out, reducing weight.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools