Topic

I’m torn between two Tarptent tents….help.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I’m torn between two Tarptent tents….help.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

I’m really trying to pull the trigger on a Tarptent but I’m stuck between the Aeon Li Vs. Protrail Li.  I think I’ve been back in forth on these to the point of going crazy.  Only thing about the Aeon is the pitch lock corners and packing it down fairly small but not a total deal breaker.  I haven’t had a front entry tent like the Protrail so I don’t know how I would like that.  Protrail seems to have more space inside and good ventilation but don’t know if it would handle inclement weather as good as the Aeon.  Both have fairly small footprints so they can fit into tighter spots so a bonus for both of them.  Protrail is a bit less money also and a little bit lighter with no struts to worry about.  Anything I’m missing?  Anyone have either of these and have some pros or cons?  Thanks

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Call TarpTent. You will likely end up talking with Henry. He knows the tents he has designed and is honest and helpful.

I am not a fan of pitchlock struts so my vote is for the ProTrail. I had its predecessor, the Contrail, a few years ago and found it to be quite spacious inside. It has excellent ventilation. The ProTrail looks very similar but with a much improved foot end. I don’t care for the front entry first thing in the morning when I’m stiff and it’s chilly out but it’s a minor inconvenience.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A whole lot depends on you. How tall are you, for example? My own frustrating experience is that end-entry tents can be sheer misery for tall folk. Struts, on the other hand, are a minor inconvenience in trade vs floor length vs footprint vs etc.  I find side-entry vestibules more usable than end-entry, too.  Disclaimer:  I haven’t used either of the two tents you’re considering.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

I agree with the idea of talking to Henry Shires. He’s a great guy, very honest, and makes several tents worth considering. I had the 2019 version of the Aeon Li and have had other TT designs similar to the Protrail, namely the Squall and Virga, which go way back. I liked both of these end entry designs. If I had my choice now I would probably opt for the ProTrail Li even with the improvements in the Aeon Henry made in 2020 which I haven’t seen personally. The storm door zipper on the Aeon makes sense and I understand there were some minor tweaks on the pitch loc struts which made them less likely to come out while pitching or taking down the tent. I found the Aeon very storm worthy. I rode out a hail storm with some pretty serious winds and the tent performed beautifully. If I had lowered the pitch it would have kept out more wind that was swirling and coming in under the door. That said, the Aeon is a more complicated design than I would like. It takes a while to pitch properly, more so if you tend towards needing it to be just right. The struts did tend to slide out unless one made sure to tighten the little ribbon things. I found the the packed size of the Aeon with the struts to be a drawback for me personally. The design doesn’t leave a lot of head room at the ends towards the front or the back in my opinion although the struts do help a lot in the back. So for me I think the ProTrail would be more livable and packable. Not to drive you even crazier but I really like The One DCF by Gossamer Gear. I never considered using only one trekking pole. If you use two poles you can have a tent design which provides for a lot more livable space which The One does better than any one person UL tent I’ve seen, though you pay for that with having a higher profile against the wind. The issue with The One is whether the floor material holds up which I hope to assess this spring and summer. If you’re not fully insane yet you can always consider the Duplex or Altaplex. Zpacks’ sewing is getting better from what I can tell, but you have to hand it to TarpTent and GG on the quality of their workmanship from the get go. I used the Duplex exclusively for a few years. It’s hard to beat if the sewing is right. Lots of great options out there and people who want to go light but keep out the bugs owe thanks to Henry Shires, Glen Van Peski and Joe Valesko for their great products.

CHRIS S
    Spectator

@chris6145

I am working through the same decision.  I am coming from a duplex and looking for something smaller.  I like the Aeon except for packing it due to the struts.  Because of that, I am leaning heavily towards the Protrail LI.  I will be following this discussion closely.  Good luck with your decision.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have the Protrail in silnylon, and (at 6’2″) I don’t have any big issue with the front entry. Interior space is great for 1 person, and I really appreciate the peak height being located over my head. Relatively small footprint, easy to set up, easy to pack up. I like it.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

If you’re okay with struts limiting the packed size, I’d go with the Aeon Li. Side entry, only one pole needed, better views, smaller footprint. Storm-worthiness is probably effectively the same for both designs. The struts on Tarptents annoy me, but I’m also usually packing a bear can and a Helinox chair and I dislike storing gear on the outside of my pack, so I don’t have as much packing freedom as others. That said, the struts on the Aeon Li are shorter than their other designs.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Thanks so far for all the input!  I’m still bouncing them around but leaning a little more toward the ProTrail just for packability, Livability, and ease of setup and takedown.  I’m only 5’9″ so I should feel like a giant in this thing.  I really love that the internal footprint width is pretty wide (42″ at the front which is awesome) and doesn’t get smaller than 30″ at the rear which makes it look/feel more roomy.  I’m a sleeper that turns from side to side to belly a lot and I like the extra width in living space to account for me always changing my sleeping position.  Living in the eastern part of the US (Ohio) I am not above the tree line very often like those out west so really strong winds is not a huge issue for me. The ProTrail should be able to handle anything the east coast can throw at it and of course me choosing the right spots and pitching it accordingly.  Thanks again for the input and please feel free to add more.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’m 6’3″ and own the Pro Trail in silnylon, only because TT wasn’t offering it in DCF when I made the purchase.

Like every other single wall shelter I’ve used, it’s prone to condensation.  I also own a side entry now discontinued Zpacks Hexamid Twin.  From a condensation perspective, I don’t find the Protrail to be better or worse than the Twin.  How this translates to the Aeon, I’ve no idea.

Site selection helps (eg don’t pitch it on wet grass) but it’s not always going to help.  The largest issues I have with condensation are mostly a result of the silnylon sagging and I’ve yet to rig up some shock cord to help keep the fabric taut overnight.  If condensation is a major concern for you, I’d consider a double wall shelter.

One of my hiking buddies has the Aeon.  It looks like a quality shelter, but my impression from looking at it was that it seems cramped.  I find the Protrail to be palatial for one with room to move and some gear.

The struts for me are a no go.  My MO is to buy an oversized stuff sack for my shelters so I can smoosh them around gear in my backpack.  The Protrail is fantastic in that regard.

Best of luck with your decision.  TT is a great company.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Re: condensation. Why not the Notch li? it’s only a few ounces heavier,double walled and arguably more storm proof, although it sounds like that’s not so much of a consideration. But the double wall solves the condensation issue, if there is one on the trails the OP is hiking.

Here on the west coast, I’d go for the Notch. But I’m old school. Although I do appreciate a single pole set up.

Keith W
    BPL Member

@kswarren

Depends on how old you are! If you are 70, with blown discs, back surgery, and two bad knees (like me), you absolutely want side entry.  When I was younger, I was happy with front entry; 50 years ago I even sewed a tent that look very much like the Protrail, because no one made a small light tent like that. But rolling out to the side, with no gear to crawl over is so nice. I got a Notch Li a few weeks ago-  really nice- set it up in yard.  I’m looking forward to getting out with it when the weather warms a bit.  In the PNW, I do like double wall.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

The Only reason I’m between these two tents is because I already have Two double wall tents.  One is the X-Mid 2p tent and the other is a REI Quarter dome SL1 semi free standing. Tent.  This tent search was more for an UL single person quick pitch with some storm worthiness and bug protection.  Mostly just for when I’m out on solo trips and pushing more miles when a lower pack weight becomes more ideal.  I do like the Notch Li I just don’t like how cramped it looks inside. I like more room and it just looks very tight in the head and foot areas. That and I already own some double wall tents. Thanks again for the comments everyone

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

5’6” here and I didn’t feel cramped even slightly in my Notch on an XLite pad. I doubt you’d feel cramped at 5’9”. That said, it’s got even longer struts end that’s what prevented it from being my forever shelter. It’s a near perfect design other than that.

I still think the choice is clear here: ProTrail is the way to go (packability and interior size) unless you dislike front entry.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

At 6’1″ and a LW pad user I found the Notch much too small. The head and foot width dimensions just didn’t work for me.  It doesn’t help that I really just don’t like 1P shelters…too small.  The SS Li looks to me to be nearing the Holy Grail of shelters, but I would have to think long and hard before buying another (almost) $700 shelter.  The Durston X-Mid 2P will be my goto once my Duplex dies.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I have a Protrail. I have nothing but good to say about it.

I dislike side entry tents. The fabric is just inches from my head. This is especially unpleasant during a storm.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I have a TT Contrail that I’ve used probably 40+ nights.  I use my BPL fixed length 125 cm carbon Stix poles where I secure the handles together with a couple of silicone hair ties to create a very stable inverted V to support the front opening. It works great. When I posted a photo of it being quite saggy from condensation from the nearby lake, Franco demanded that I add a front cord to prevent that from happening again. That made for a very stable Contrail.

But then Dan Durston came through with his X-Mid 1-P tent, which changed everything for me. Two doors for easy in-and-out, which offers great ventilation, and plenty of head room, for a mere 3 oz. weight penalty over the Contrail.

It’s wonderful that we have such choices these days, compared to the heavy WW 2 canvas tents I started out with in the 1950-1973 era.

Robert Richey
    BPL Member

@bobr

Locale: San Luis Obispo

Given what you (the OP) are using the tent for I think you should take a look at The One DCF unless you use only one trekking pole. There is a review of it on The Trek website you might check out. I plan on writing a review on BPL after getting out when spring has sprung. I think it’s a terrific shelter.

Anthony H
    BPL Member

@aharlow

Given what you (the OP) are using the tent for I think you should take a look at The One DCF unless you use only one trekking pole. There is a review of it on The Trek website you might check out. I plan on writing a review on BPL after getting out when spring has sprung. I think it’s a terrific shelter.

I looked at these and the only caveat I had was the 7D nylon bathtub floor and the tent is actually smaller than the 2020 non DCF version of “The One”.  I think a 7D nylon floor seems a bit fragile making using a ground sheet more of a must then an option.  I could be wrong but I guess time will tell as people use them in the field.  I’d be interested in your review on how it performs.  I do like the design and the updates they did I just wish at that price it would have been a full DCF tent.  Maybe the price will come down after initial rollout and then it might be more appealing to me.  Going to check out that review you mentioned and I look forward to seeing your review after you do some testing with it.  Thanks

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools