Topic

I’m ready to admit I don’t like being alone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique I’m ready to admit I don’t like being alone

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Jeef, you likely won’t feel alone on the JMT.  I’ve hiked it twice “solo” and never once lacked for company.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Thanks, Steve.

There is a completely new dynamic now.  The High Sierra is experiencing a heavy amount of moonsoonal rain.  Currently several east side trailheads area closed due to flooding and debris (Onion Valley, Whitney Portal, Horseshoe Meadows).  The mountain-forecast is calling for heavy rain throughout the next 12 days.

This is in stark contract to my previous visits to the northern half of the JMT in 2017 and 2019 where it had been a big snow year but we saw barely a cloud in the sky the 2 weeks we were there. I’m tweaking my rain gear.  The Helium II rain jacket is out and my Columbia Outdry Lightweight is in.  Not sure about the silnylon rain kilt vs going for traditional rain pants though.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Do what I want, when I want. Go whichever way I want. Stop whenever I want. Make camp wherever and whenever I want.

Same here though in most N American mountain ranges, one isn’t usually that alone in summertime.  Ditto for certain desert hikes like Reavis Ranch in Arizona’s Superstitions, the Grand Canyon (of course), and even the Gila’s Middle Fork.

Makes you want to pack some rum and ear plugs.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

When I hiked the PCT in 2008 and 2009 I was alone and I liked it that way. After 2 years working from home during the pandemic, I hoped that on the CDT I might make some friends and have people to hike with. I did for a little while but eventually our different hiking paces caused the group to fall apart. After that I was very alone and I didn’t like it.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools