Topic

I'm doing a bad job of training

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion I'm doing a bad job of training

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

How would you do that, rule anything out?

It depends. First I’d take a careful look at nutrition especially protein, vitamins and micro nutrients. With age these requirements change – what we got away with might not work as well. Best to get these from food sources and NOT from supplements. I’d say protein and B12 are the big two that are neglected among many active older adults. No need to go testing for a thousand different things……unless….

IMHO anti inflammatory substances are over sold unless one has known inflammatory conditions. For example, I know people that have psoriasis and rheumatoid arthritis – very serious business. You’d know it if you had such a condition. If not you’d be wasting your money on supposed anti inflammatory “cures”. Turmeric (or it’s active ingredient curcumin) have been fashionable for some time now. No harm when used in small quantities as a cooking ingredient but it’s ridiculous taken in the mega dose capsules!

Normally inflammation is a good thing – it’s the body’s response to any insult to promote healing. No reason to suppress it.

Obviously this is a very complex set of topics of which I don’t even claim any real knowledge of. But I personally try making one tweak at a time and watch the effect over time before trying something else. My life is a series of experiments……..mostly unsuccessful. But I always learn something – it’s a problem solving and experimental mind set. There are no answers, only new questions.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I’ve found that if I take some ibuprofen within an hour or two after a hike (whenever I get home), I can stave off any knee issues that seem to keep coming back ever since I hurt my knee a couple years ago bombing down a trail.

I doubt I have any real nutritional deficiencies, including protein or B12 because as a person who has tried to lift heavy weights I’ve had to consume a lot of high protein foods, and I’m not a vegetarian.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OR… “If I’d knowed I wuz gonna git this old I’d-a taken better care of myself.”

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools