Topic

If you own a Zpacks pack with Arc frame this will extend life of carbon stays

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) If you own a Zpacks pack with Arc frame this will extend life of carbon stays

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

When I first looked into owning a Zpacks Arc Blast, I purchased multiple used ones online, which ended up having more miles than implied, thus returned. One thing I noticed on every one, even my own new one after only 30 miles, is that the design allows the carbon strut in the center of the pack to ride directly into the carbon stays. This eats away at the carbon stay in a spot that sees high stress when arced. There isn’t anything stopping this, and the sellers were just lucky that the carbon is strong enough that it didn’t snap even when eaten 30-50% of the way through.

I’m actually quite surprised this isn’t done by Zpacks, as it helps reduce unnecessary wear and I’m sure they could create a much more elegant solution.

I was able to catch this early on my Arc Blast that I purchased new from Zpacks, after just 30 miles or so, noticing that the carbon was rubbing down quite fast. I have since done it to my Arc Haul pack as well once I got it.

All I did was take a couple sections of silnylon I had laying around, folded them up 4+ times around the end of the carbon strut, then pushed it into the slot. The silnylon seems to be doing really great in creating a low-friction interface between the strut and the stays. I could make it look better visually, but I can’t be bothered, LOL.

Takes just a couple minutes if you have some tough, slippery fabric on hand.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Nice.  Simple. Effective.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools