Topic

Ideas for Salt Lake City area mid June

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ideas for Salt Lake City area mid June

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Hey everyone, my daughter took a position in the SLC area last year, and I’m trying to get some ideas for a 3-4 night trip for mid June.  She is an experienced hiker, and we try to get out each year for a father daughter trip.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Not knowing the area, we are just looking for something fun low key, fishing would be nice, but its more about our time together!

Thanks for your help

Adam M
    BPL Member

@amcfarland1

The snow level seems to be around 9,500′ -10,000′ along the Wasatch front mid June.  For fishing, most people go to one of the many lakes in the Uintas (about 90 minutes east of SLC).  Most lakes in the Uintas are above 9000′ but the lower ones are typically snow free mid June.  We’ve had a low snow year, so depending on the spring snowfall, you might be able to get to higher elevations without snow earlier in the year.  Look for routes either off the Mirror Lake Highway or the south slope of the Uintas.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

thanks for the info.  I know its right on the shoulder of being hikable, we’ll just have to wait and see how the melt goes.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@desertsteve

Hey, thought I would check in and see if there are any new reports or info on the snow and the trails.  Looks like we will be there from June 14-18.

Any new updates on snow levels or trails opening?  thanks

Adam M
    BPL Member

@amcfarland1

The snow was retreating quickly then the upper elevations got 12-18” just before Memorial Day, but that should melt quickly.  Most the snow below 9k’ has melted.  I’m guessing anything with a south exposure will be clear below 10k’ by mid June, patchy snow 10-11k’ with larger snow fields above that.

Here’s a nice lake a few minutes outside Salt Lake valley at 9k’.  Check the photos for snow the past week:

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/lake-blanche-trail?u=i

The Mirror Lake Highway through the Unitas is open and there are several options there that will have fewer people and better fishing.  The Naturalist Basin is nice. You’ll probably have patchy snow at higher elevations but snow shouldn’t be an issue other than the high passes, which this avoids.  There was a fire in the area a year or two ago but I haven’t been there since so not sure of the scale of deadfall etc (all-trails trip reports have info):

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/naturalist-basin?u=i

Just south of there is Granddaddy Basin, which most access from a different trailhead than Naturalist Basin, but can be reached from either.  There are also a number of shorter routes on the west side of Mirror Lake highway from trailheads at Washington or Trial Lake to lakes like Marjorie or Duck that might work: https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/utah/duck-lake-trail?u=i

Hope that’s helpful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools