Topic

Ideas for 3 day California trips with dogs? And water!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Ideas for 3 day California trips with dogs? And water!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

We are considering the Lost Coast sometime during the last week of March. That may not work out for a couple of reasons, including it just being too hard on our dogs’ paws.

I would appreciate some suggestions for a 3 day, 2 night outing. Getting to a lake would be ideal. This will be my adult daughter and I and our two dogs so not a whole lot of miles because we want to enjoy being somewhere and setting up a nice camp ( we don’t want to car camp).
    Not interested in places where there are lotteries to be able to enjoy the outdoors.
    thank you.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Grouse Lakes area off Hwy 20?  it’s relatively low elevation so you might be okay there depending on snow levels.  Road in can be rough.

Ventana?

Any BLM land, I think.  Desert areas?  But a long haul to get there this time of year with passes closed.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I’ll look up Grouse Lake. Thanks! Another requirement would be an area without a lot of ticks so Ventana is out..

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Grouse lake/grouse ridge area is chock full of lakes and granite, despite the relatively low elevation.  It’s a great place for beginner backpacking trips in the summer; I’ve met tons of families there that have been coming there for generations.  But I’m guessing in March it could be relatively deserted.

Jeff Y
    Spectator

@ogilybogil

Sykes hot springs near Big Sur allows dogs I believe and you can hike a little farther out too.

Good luck!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools