Topic

I was thinking about a Feathered Friend’s Flicker, but….

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I was thinking about a Feathered Friend’s Flicker, but….

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

“Be sure to post it up”

Doubt it would interest anyone as there won’t be much to it – that’s the whole idea!

The FF Tanager is a near miss – great colour and good reviews. But it’s only got 357g fill, and I’m looking for more like 550g. Sleeping colder as I slide into decrepitude…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’m sure they would add some down to their Tanager for you (at $19.50/ounce) :)

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn’t really work like that – you need to widen the baffles proportionately and resize the shell, which I doubt would be viable for them.

I’ll ask them for a quote, but by the time I pay shipping and tax and I can do it myself for less than half the price, and have the fun of using my own kit…

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Hi Geoff,

FF will add up to 2 oz of down to any of their bags.  To your point, they won’t add more as that would require wider / larger / longer shell, etc.  But 2 oz is possible without compressing the fill and would likely add maybe 5F.

John V
    BPL Member

@luapnoj

Mike,

Are you still liking the flicker? Am debating getting one as well. Did you go 20deg or 30deg?

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

John- Hi.  I’ve actually two of them now :)  The first one I purchased was a 20 degree with 3 oz of overfill- so more like a 10-15 degree bag and recently purchased a 30 (w/ no overfill).  Those two cover a pretty wide range and if need be I can add a 50 degree Apex quilt over the “20” and be good to 0 or even a little lower.

A nice compromise between a bag and a quilt.  No draft worries with the Flicker vs a quilt, yet can fully unzipped like a quilt.

So yes, still liking the flicker :)

Mike

John V
    BPL Member

@luapnoj

Mike,

Sounds great, think I’ll pull the trigger.

thanks,

john

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Locale: SF Bay Area, East Bay

Dug this up researching the Flicker.  Any follow up reviews?  What are the better cord locks vs what FF uses?  Thanks, ~RL

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I haven’t changed mine- yet.

On another note, I used my 20 degree Flicker (3 oz of overfill, so more like 10-15 degrees) recently on a 7 day snowshoe trip across the Bob Marshall- did outstanding!

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Glad it worked out for ya.  I called FF yesterday to order a two day rental of a 20* Reg so as to check fit. I’ve been a fanboy for three decades.  My hang up.  Peace, ~RL

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Glad it worked out for ya.  I called FF yesterday to order a two day rental of a 20* Reg so as to check fit. I’ve been a fanboy for three decades.  My hang up.  Peace, ~RL

that’s a great option- try before you buy :)

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

It’s nice they offer this service.  I used and abused one of their swallows from thirty yr ago. Then about two yrs ago, or thereabouts, dunno due to covid cranium crush, I rented a hummingbird.  It resulted with a purchase and they deduct the rental fee.  Shipping and return of the rental is easy enough.  Anywho…

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

FF has the highest quality, durability and service of all the brands I’ve tried over the past 50 years, and their temperature ratings are honest and realistic, unlike those of many other brands and a few UL brands in particular. You can rest assured that anything you purchase from them is a lifetime purchase if you take halfway decent care of it.

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

The rental came today.  20* Reg Marine.  Soza….  why didn’t yinz tell me about the Flicker before?  What a nice fit.  Almost better than , or at least equal to, the Hummingbird I’ve been beatin up on for the past year or so.  sigh.  Do I see yet another bag in my near future?  Oh, you betcha.  My jam.  Peace, ~RL

R L
    Spectator

@slip-knot

Oh, you betcha, was right.  Took purchase of a 20* reg YF.  She’s a beaut.  That’s all I want to say.  ~RL

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

Flicker people – can you describe how well it works in quilt mode, unzipped? I’m wondering if it’s wide enough to drape and still mostly prevent drafts or cold spots when you roll over, etc.

I imagine the narrow cut heats you up quickly when fully zipped. And at the warmer end of the range (50’s and above) you can open it up into full blanket-mode. But I’m wondering how well it works for those cool but not cold night in between.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Take a look at the Flickers dimensions; I think it’s on par with most quilts

62” shoulder, 48” hips, 39” footbox

John V
    BPL Member

@luapnoj

I have the wide version and it works well for me.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools