Topic

I really want to modify my Zpacks Hipbelt Pockets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I really want to modify my Zpacks Hipbelt Pockets

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Author
    JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Thanks Bob, I already know I will get more use from the pockets with this mod.

I considered doing a “360 degree” installation, but the “180 degree” worked so well I just left it at that :)  I’m sure there are use cases where the 360 would work great.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

So, after all this dedicated modifying of the hip belt pockets, can anyone tell me, are they really waterproof?  I’m seriously doubtful, as the same zipper set-up is used on his Multi-pack 4-in-1.   I use it on top of my Arc Blast as a “lid”. The last hike I took with it was an all-day drizzle, and everything was wet inside.  Where those zipper pulls meet is a teeny, tiny gap that water finds perfectly accessible.  This time, when I go out tomorrow and it is supposed to be damp, I’m going to flip it over when I clip it on, so that the zipper isn’t on the top, and see if that helps.

I have the older hip-belt pockets, with the fold-over elastic top, custom modded to use a mitten hook (oh, no, not the dreaded mitten hook!) so that I can operate it one-handed, not the side-pinch clip.  I’ve never had an issue with them letting water get inside, although I do put important stuff in zip-loc bags in case.  I’m wondering if this is a case of an “improvement” that isn’t.

So, waterproof, yes or no?

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Diane, last October I did a trip during which my oldest, most used cuben/poly pocket was subjected to intermittent rain and a couple of deluges over 4 days and it didn’t leak, or if it did it wasn’t enough to notice. I have repaired a couple of small holes in that particular pocket with cuben tape. The Arc Blast also didn’t leak, and it has also seen a repair or two inside the bag with cuben tape, and also 2-3 on the water bottle pockets.

I guess it depends on the age of the item and how frequently it is zipped/unzipped or otherwise stressed. Eventually, anything short of a Pelican case is going to leak, though.

Maybe hold the multi-pack up to some bright light and see if there are some holes in it?

LOL, oh yeah, you know you’ve ‘arrived’ when you’ve mastered the mitten hook. :^)

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I don’t know if Bob’s experience is the norm, but I certainly hope so.  I have not had the pockets out in the rain, but I have always packaged things in the hip belt pockets in a ziplock.  The slight additional packing complexity is worth it to ensure things stay dry.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

Not waterproof, to my experience. Very water resistant, yes, but moisture has gotten in when exposed to a sustained rain. I think it’s because the zipper is on top, where falling rain can hit it directly. It didn’t get “wet” inside, just a little moisture, for example my camera was in there and it was fine, but it made me decide to bring a zippie sandwich bag to ensure it stays dry.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

So, does anyone who performed these mods still think it was a good idea?  What about the longevity of this modification?  Would you do it again?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I modified my pockets per Bob Moulder’s design. The tape has held and the mods look and function today exactly as they did the day I completed them.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

^ Ditto.

Viewing 8 posts - 76 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools