Topic

I need a cheap double wall, under 4 pounds

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I need a cheap double wall, under 4 pounds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

I’m getting back into backpacking this year. One of my life changes is now I have a dog. I’m a dedicated hanger, but I would like a tent for when my dog comes along. I’m looking for sub 4 pounds & less than $200. From what I’m seeing, it looks like the venerable Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight is probably the one to beat. Do you guys have any other recommendations? And I’m really not interested in a single wall. Thanks for your help.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Locale: California

Dan Becker just did a backyard review of four double-walled tents under $200 and 4 pounds, including the Clip Flashlight 2:

YouTube video

— Rex

Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

The Sierra Designs Summer Moon is a little bit smaller, but also side enters, freestanding, and only $132 right now on their website for basically the same weight as the Flashlight. If you’re prioritizing saving money that might be an option.

peter t
    BPL Member

@petersonallen

Also maybe the REI Half Dome 1 plus ( depending on the size of your dog…) – narrower than the Summer Moon but longer (  int: 92 x 38 x 40 ) and similar weight.  Being on the tallish side at 6’3″, the length sold me & I just picked one up for throwing in the rowboat for river camping ~ $135 on sale.

Patrick Browning
    BPL Member

@optimator

Thanks all. It looks like pretty slim pickings in the range I’m looking at. At this point I’m leaning towards a Marmot Force 2. It can actually get under 3 lbs..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!