Topic

I made a backpack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear I made a backpack

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I made a backpack out of scraps and sample swatches from a bin. I wanted to see if I could do it before I used expensive fabric. I’m pretty happy with it. It is constructed with 3 panels: back, bottom and front. This means it has one big pocket, which I constructed of two different kinds of fabric.

I learned a lot making this pack, and even had to remake parts of it. I need more practice with straps. I don’t think I did the pleats for the side pockets well. The bottom pocket is insecure.

I’d like to try again with 5 panels so the pockets could be separate, unless it would be possible to use the same 3 panel design and reinforce from inside where the pockets attach. After all, that is how the straps attach, with a reinforcement layer sewn on. I used this tutorial, adjusting the size smaller. https://dutchwaregear.com/2019/07/16/diy-ultralight-backpack-tutorial/

homemade backpack front

Homemade backpack side

Straps

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

Good first try! I made one many years ago and found out what I like and what I didn’t…

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Very nice.  How does the back (front?) work with that open mesh?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have not used it on a backpack trip. It was a learning project. If I did use it, the open mesh would be fine because I don’t put anything in the pocket that would go through it. It’s not really much more open than my old G4 mesh.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools