Topic

I lost my hiking partner on day 3 of a 10 day trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports I lost my hiking partner on day 3 of a 10 day trip

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I did a 10 day trip in SEKI. The route:

• Trail Pass to Golden Trout Creek via Tunnel Meadow.
    • Golden Trout Creek to Kern via Volcano Falls.
    • Kern trail to Colby Pass trail.
    • Colby Pass trail to Avalanche Pass trail.
    • Bubbs Creek to the PCT.
    • Southbound on the PCT to Cottonwood Pass to complete the loop. A side trip to Crabtree Lakes.

I did a write-up with pictures on imgur.

Besides losing my hiking partner on the third day, the trip was nice. Things were very pretty. Colby Pass was excellent. I met an old friend who cheered me up.

I lost a lot of weight and now I’m struggling to keep it off. I woke up exhausted and hungry this morning. My last day of hiking in SEKI was Friday, and then my boyfriend dragged me on a 14 mile day hike on Saturday and since then I’ve been pretty tired.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

Must have been and interesting trip.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I find I lose 5 to 10 pounds after a several day backpack, especially if more strenuous

Then I gain it all back over several days

I think it’s a combination of water and food in the digestive system.  Sometimes I’ll get a little dehydrated.  I eat less when backpacking because I have to carry the food.  At home I eat more.  It takes several days for food to fill up the pipeline.

Hopefully I stopped short of TMI : )

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

That’s interesting about the warning. I don’t know why it won’t let people see my post. There’s no nudity or profanity or anything. Imgur sucks.

I have videos, but some people don’t like videos. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P25eX6PDA4&list=PL-9yXoCfg54OPfgNKXN6HMbEH6HbvSQCE

The tldr: My friend got lost on Whitney Creek on the Kern Trail. I waited for her for 2 hours at Whitney Creek but never saw her arrive. Maybe if I had seen her arrive I would have realized she went too far up the side trail to a log crossing. I waited where I could see everyone arrive and everyone come down the log crossing trail. When she didn’t arrive I figured she had found another way down and was ahead of me, so I went on to Junction Meadow and waited another hour. I then realized there were faint arrows in the sand at the junction with Colby Trail and figured maybe that was my friend pointing to where she had gone. So I continued. (Colby Pass and Colby Lake are excellent!)

Then I spent the next 4 days trying to figure out whether she was ahead of me or behind me. I talked to people I saw. Nobody ever saw her. I kept thinking I saw her coming but it was never her.

Eventually I was camped early on the PCT below Forester Pass and met a ranger who called around. It sounded like someone saw her on Tyndall Creek. I continued to stay in my camp because a thunderstorm was coming and maybe she was still behind me. While I napped a dear old friend just happened to come by. Small world!

In the morning I climbed Forrester Pass and there was my friend waiting for me at the top!

We went to Crabtree Lakes on one of our last few days, which were beautiful.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Most Excellent!

Thank You.

(glad it all worked out,  though the wondering must have been rough)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools