Topic

Hydrostatic Head Testing of .75 oz Cuben Dyneema, Green with E type Myler

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hydrostatic Head Testing of .75 oz Cuben Dyneema, Green with E type Myler

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Sam Farrington requested that I perform a Hydrostatic Head test on two samples of .75 oz/ square yard Cuben Dyneema fabric, green, with E type Myler.  I don’t know the age of the fabric. Perhaps Sam can provide that information.  The 18″ by 18″ samples were sent rolled in a tube, so no creasing was present.  I tested one sample as received.  The other was aged using the process developed by Richard Nisley.  The results are as follow:

As can be seen, there is a fair amount of variation among each group of samples.  However, the aged samples show substantial degradation in hydrostatic head.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Guess I need to learn to spell Mylar!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thank you, Stephen.

The material, as received from Cubic Technologies, was labelled “CT2E.08”

Found the thread I posted about it at:  https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/41273/

So it is about eight years old since purchase, stored rolled on the tube it was shipped on since January 2011.  But don’t know it’s date of manufacture.

Did not make a tent out of it, and given the water resistance after simulated aging, and some other issues discussed in the above link, do not expect I will.  Hope this is helpful.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Very interesting…so the samples tested are approximately the same age (first half of 2011) as those tested in RN’s “dirty little secret” post…arguably the genesis of the Cuben HH discussion on BPL.

It would be very interesting to see identical tests done on current production 0.75 DCF to verify the claims that the longevity of the mylar has been improved.  Even better, and obviously quite a bit of work to pull off…tests on 0.75 material of several different vintages.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

If someone has samples of current fabric , I can test it.  However in view of the results of my recent test of .5 oz new Dyneema, it should do well. PM me to set up the test.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools