Topic

Hybrid Tarp – Flat/Shaped w1/2 Pyramid Attachment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hybrid Tarp – Flat/Shaped w1/2 Pyramid Attachment

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I wanted the versatility of a flat tarp with the protection of a shaped tarp, so I came up with this. The flat tarp measures 107″ X 56′. The attachment is almost a triangle. It measures 42″ tall by 80″ wide. All is made with RSBTR 20d Silnylon, stealthy olive drab. Used a #3 YKK zipper (non waterproof). Final seam sealed weight is 9.6 oz. Peak is 42″ high when pitched.

This is my buddy Dan showing how it zips down.

I’ve found it best to use the 2 back tieouts on a half pyramid, between the middle and corners instead of the 1 middle tieout. I don’t know, others may know a better way.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

That’s sort of like mine, except the side panel is permanent rather than zipped on and extends about 3 feet from the center, zipper down the middle:

60 inches tall, the left side is 9 feet x 4 feet rectangle, #5 zipper (I’ve tried #3 before but it failed after a while)

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Great idea.  I have been wanting to do something like that for along time.

Can you post a more detailed closeup of the peak?

I assume you just start at one corner and zip it fully on or fully off?

Thanks

Ben

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Yea Ben , the attachment zips all the way off with a one way separating zipper (#3 YKK). However, the next tarp I make like this I’m going to use a #5 two way separating zipper instead.

I negotiated the peak by curving the zipper around like you see in the pic.

That leaves a little bit hanging out, but I’m going to sew a tieout to it so I can use the attachment to cap off one end of an A frame pitch if I choose. A lot of thread and seams in one area. It doesn’t look pretty with the seam seal applied, but all is very solid.

I came up with this (below) to support the pole. I sewed 1/2″ wide polyester (2 layers) around a 2″ X 2.5″  piece of nylon to create a pocket. Then sewed that to X Pac. Next I sewed the X Pac onto a bonded reinforcement. There again, not professional looking, but strong (I’m open for better suggestions). I couldn’t go for an all out wedge because I wanted the tarp to retain its flat tarp function. The pole can also be tied onto the tieout. That means the attachment stays INSIDE the pole though. Or if it’s clear and I don’t want to use the attachment I can just use the tieout to support the pole.

I went through a lot of trial and error to get the attachment dimensions to work out Ben, so if you decide to make a tarp like this just have me e-mail you a diagram of the measurements. Will save you lots of frustration.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a very interesting solution. Thanks for sharing it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools