Topic

Hunter Mountain, Catskills NY January 2020

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Hunter Mountain, Catskills NY January 2020

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

YouTube video

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Ughhh. Trying to post video but having trouble.
    Ill start with some pictures.
    We did a weekend backpacking trip up Hunter Mountain in the Catskills NY last weekend. Friday and Friday night temps hit 0 degrees, if not a little below 0. Slept in my hammock near the John Robb Lean To.. At about 3400- 3500 ft.
    Saturday we hiked a short trail across to Hunter Mt ski lodge for a burger. A nasty winter storm was rolling in as we headed back to our camp site. It was getting windy and began to snow. I was contemplating about taking my hammock down and going to the ground due to the heavy winds. I waited too long, and the gail force wind shredded my DCF tarp. I had no choice now but to take my hammock down and retreat into the shelter! Unfortunatly, the storm was blowing a direct hit into the lean to. Thankfully, i was fully prepared for this and i had my ground pad (thermarest SOL Z Lite) and my Borah Gear Snowyside Event bivy. We hunkered down at about 3:30 pm and did not get out until the storm passsed at about 8 am! I would say it was consistant 30-40 mph winds with gusts from 50- 60 mph.. For a good 12 hours straight pounding with cold, snow, ice and fog! It was a full force whiteout blizzard on the side of the mountain at 3500 ft. The morning was beautiful, dumped about 8 inches of snow and ice and everything looked so beautiful. I have to say, that bivy saved my life!! Yes it was a miserable night hunkered in there.. Condensation from from breath was freezing inside the bivy and causing ice to form, my 0 degree quilt was wet from moisture and snow.. But i was warm all night! It did suck when i had to get out to pee.. In hart of storm.. The wind blew my bivy up and snow got i side a bit.. But i was warm. In the morning, the lean to was full of snow and ice and i was basically sleeping on my small pad, and snow and ice.. But i was warm and survived the storm. Thankyou Borah Gear for making that Bivy. At about 8 ounces and packed so small.. It is a no brainer for me to bring it on all of my winter trips escpecially when im using my hammock.. GOod forbid i have to go to the ground.. It happens!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

YouTube video

Jake
    BPL Member

@jake_c

Locale: Eastern OH

Sounds like things got exciting! I’m glad  you came prepared for that possibility or that could have turned into a miserable/dangerous night on the mountain.

That weather came through here (eastern Ohio), dumped 4 inches of snow, then rain, then ice,  then snow again. The wind was howling!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools