Topic

Huge Rockfall closes Tioga Pass Road

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Huge Rockfall closes Tioga Pass Road

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

If you’re planning to drive over Tioga Pass Road soon be sure to check when it will be re-opened after a huge rockfall a day ago.  The pictures of the rocks that fell on Tioga road were very large but it seems no one was injured, fortunately.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Oops-in above——–the pictures weren’t large, it was the rocks in the pictures that were large!

Jane

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Here you go, Jane,

Look for the Yugo, squished flat, under the boulder.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Looks like this is on the East side of the pass?  So Tuolumne Meadows is still accessible from the West?

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

David, Thanks for the picture.

Paul, As of five minutes ago, online and by phone, CalTrans has this about Hwy. 120:  Closed from Crane Flat to 5 miles west of jct. with 395 due to snow.  I got an e-mail from someone on the Eastern side that the road is closed due to the rockfall-but he didn’t say exact location.  I would call Yosemite and CalTrans to get the latest info. if I needed to drive on hwy. 120.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

That’s a CalTrans photo Hiking Jim posted on Facebook.  It sure looks like the east side and moderately far down in elevation from Tioga Pass.  There are many long, steep, high cut slopes to the north of the highway there.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

http://quickmap.dot.ca.gov

says “closed 10 miles west of 395” when you click on the icon.  (And also that 120 is closed east of Crane Flat by a locked gate).

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Two minutes ago by phone with staffer at Whoa! Nellie Deli/Mobil Gas Station: She said that Tioga Pass Road (Hwy. 120) was opened for about two miles up the hill (west) from the gas station, the signs were turned to OPEN, but NOW the road has been CLOSED again. CLOSED and no info. at this time as to when it will open again. The Deli and Store are open (I assume the gas, too, but she didn’t say that) so you can get another fish taco while you await more info. on when/whether the road will open up in West direction.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools