Topic

Huemul Circuit – Argentinan Patagonia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Huemul Circuit – Argentinan Patagonia

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

Has anyone done this hike.  Looking around the web there seems to be a lot of very overdramatic posts and videos of “I survived”  and “Don’t underestimate the dangers of…”  and “the weather could kill you”.

There is even a requirement that you cary a Tyrollean harness so you can zip line across the rivers.  And almost every other report says the river upstream is ankle deep and you dont need the zip line.

I am very interested in seeing the South Patagonia Ice field and the area around Fitz Roy. (My days of climbing that beast are 30 years in the rear view mirror –  so a nice hike and a good view are what Im looking for)

Is the “Danger” overhyped here?  It seems like a lot of people want to make the Vlogs dramatic.   I completely understand about Patagonian weather and winds — but beyond that I dont see any real issues here.   The trail doesn’t even seem that difficult.

Am I missing something?

Andy P
    Spectator

@gearjunkie

Locale: PNW

Did this in Feb.  Not tough at all. To keep things light and not rely on local rental availability, I brought my own lightweight Dyneema harness, carabiners (1 locking steel and 1 AL) and Dyneema sling. These items are required by the national park service.  They will check your equipment before issuing you a permit.  You will also be required to view a video at their office.   Didn’t cross via the Tyrolean traverse at the first crossing; instead waded across the river downstream from the traverse near the lake inlet at a shallow riffle.  Was just mid calf deep. I did cross via Tylroean traverse on the 2nd and final river crossing.  Was a cinch:  just clip on and pull yourself along the cable with your hands.</p>
    Walking the glacial section and drinking unfiltered crisp water straight from it was a highlight for me.

Yep it was windy for sure.  My only tent is a Solplex and surprised it survived the winds.  Next time to Patagonia, I’ll bring a more windworthy shelter like a mid.

Enjoy the trip!

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Andy has given you good info here.  I would just say that when we were at Fitzroy, the wind was between 20-35 mph…and the locals were saying that it was not windy at all.  (You call this wind???) There are times when it gets much worse than that.  One of two places in the world where I’ve had my hat blown right off my head.  The other was spring in the American Southwest…

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

Thanks Guys.  I just booked the trip for March.

It looks like 3 days on trial unless the weather gets bad.  Any other hikes out of El Chaltén that you found good?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

We liked ALL the hikes out of El Chalten:  Cerro Torre is stunning,  There’s a nice route to Fitzroy that involves a van ride to allow you to through hike back to El Chalten—well worth it.  And we saw condors everywhere, too.

We have a report on our website:  backpackthesierra.com, under destinations..

Here’s a link to our page about South America:  https://sites.google.com/site/backpackthesierra/home/machu-picchu

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools