Topic

HUEL Hot & Savory

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition HUEL Hot & Savory

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

Anybody have any experience witht his?

https://huel.com/products/build-your-own-bundle?utm_source=google&BrandGeneric=brand&gclid=CjwKCAjwy_aUBhACEiwA2IHHQKIMJQC1BJ3lesktwfzmBTxcnA6KSGIbbtLjj5O__QTv4gXRMQqHExoCbgsQAvD_BwE

It looks pretty healthy and <$4 per serving, although that’s only 97 grams and 400 calories… and the big elephant in the room… how does it taste?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have not seen this one, but my experience with similar stuff has been that you need two servings for one meal when you are out.

Cheers

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Flavors are pretty good. My kid is in college and has some of this for when they don’t want to leave the dorm and are hungry. The Indian curry flavor is their favorite. The Mexican something-something is good too. The tomato-herb one does not get good reviews from the kid.

I’ve seen the product, it is in small pieces and looks like it would pack fairly well without many voids.

I will see if I can get a photo of the mix on a sheet of paper so you can see what it looks like.

Kevin M
    BPL Member

@scottish_kev

I’ve been using Huel on and off since about 2015, originally the cold meal replacement shakes when they first came out, and more recently also the hot meals as a quick and easy lunch while I’m at my day job. Am eating the Mac & Cheese just now as I type this lol.

For the hot and savoury, they’re alright for what they are. Because they’re vegan, and designed to hit specific amounts of calories/nutrients etc, they’re not the MOST exciting flavours in the world and don’t really compare to a proper freeze dried camping meal, but most of them are not bad.  The original ones were a bit bland because they focused on nutrients over flavour. The newer ones (mostly the pasta based ones) are a bit better.

The chicken and mushroom is by far my favourite. the Cajun one, chilli one, the mac and cheese are all pretty good. The Tomato and herb and the thai green curry are both alright.

Not a fan of the Korma, and haven’t tried the sweet and sour and the Madras. The Bolognese is new and I’ll get a packet of that in my next order to try.

But yeah, as said they’re designed to be a meal replacement for a quick lunch in every day conditions. You’ll probably need a double portion to make it a decent camping meal with the extra calories you’ll be burning.

Kev

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools