Topic

How to use a pot cozy.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition How to use a pot cozy.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Derek T
    BPL Member

@derekthurman80

I am considering making a pot cozy for my Evernew 900 ml pot. My question is how do you get a pot of boiling water into the cozy?  Do you just need to cut out a section for the handles? This does not seem as effective as enclosing the entire pot. I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere previously  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

YouTube video

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you only cover the sides and top, you’ll cut most of the heat loss, especially if you place it on wood or pine needles or a hat or bandana.  Then just fold in the handles, and lower the cozy over the pot.

If you leave the pot on a canister stove, covering the sides and top is much more important than covering the bottom.  If I always did that, I’d leave the cozy a little long so it extended 1-2 cm below the bottom of the pot.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

depending on what you set it on, there can be a lot more heat conduction to a solid surface than the air around the pot.  Like David said, put it on pine needles or whatever.  Or have the cozy go around the bottom of the pot.

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I place the pot on the cozy bottom (the silver one), then slid the cozy over the pot, then put the top on (the blue one).  The cozy is made from an insulated shopping bag I bought at the grocery store for $3.  The bottom is a piece of the shopping bag glued to blue foam.  Just blue foam for the top.  After 45 minutes in the cozy, the bottom of the pot is still too hot to hold in my hand.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

The material you’re using makes a difference in the design.  I’ve made them from the Reflectix,  blue foam, or my favorite: old, thick wool mountaineering socks.  You can either cut two slots for the handles to slide in, or you can fold the handles in as you’re placing it into a solid walled cozy (tricky but doable depending on the size of your handles).  Keep in mind, some people use pots without handles.  You simply need a technique for manipulating the pot by the top or the lip.  A glove or a cloth can work.  I think it’s nice to have a bottom on a cozy to make it easier to eat without burning yourself.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools