Topic

How to stay comfortable overnight walking?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to stay comfortable overnight walking?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Stuart Murphy
    BPL Member

@stu_m

What underwear do you find best (not clammy, non chafing)?

How do you clean yourself (e.g. get rid of sunscreen) so that you don’t feel too grimy overnight?  I just use the stove to warm water and sponge bath and change into clean clothes… An improvement but that doesn’t really get rid of oily sunscreen too well. (Sunscreen can even be a challenge at home with a hot shower let alone with limited water and fuel and potentially in the snow).

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Cotton underwear.

Skip the sunscreen: wear a big hat instead. Problem avoided.

Washing: jump into nearest creek. Splash around, scrub with small washer, leap out and get dried quickly. Duration does depend on the temperature. Snow melt leads to very fast exits.

Cheers

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I agree with Roger, although I don’t hike in cotton underwear; I only sleep in them. I try to use as little sunscreen as possible and prefer to cover up, especially here in the desert where I do most of my hiking. I go back and forth on using my umbrella (mainly because of wind) but at times it’s a godsend. For cleanup without water, I bring sanitary/baby wipes.

Stuart Murphy
    BPL Member

@stu_m

So what do you do in the snow if no running water? I assume you opt to use sunscreen then?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

My dermatologist says: Roof, hat, sunscreen.  In that order.

i.e. on a beach in Mexico?  Stay under the cabana.  If out and about, cover up.  Use sunscreen, yes, but only when/where there’s not a better solution (e.g back of the hands, although Chinese women wear light gloves as I found I had to while sea kayaking in Baja).

But back to washing off dirt and sweat and sunscreen: Yeah, warm water works better and my most common “luxury item” is a shower – enough extra fuel or a black water bag in the sun to warm it and some manner of shower container – either a purpose built one or an adapted cap for my water bottles.

A no-fuel way to warm up some water would be to let your body warm it up.  One or two 375-ml vodka bottles (plastic, clear, free at the recycling center in the #2 PETE bin) are nicely curved like a hip flask to fit in your pockets.

I get away from the trail and any surface water and use a bit of Campsuds or Dr. Bonner’s biodegradable soap and do a “Navy Shower” – wet yourself just enough to make some suds, soap up all over, and then rinse from the top down.  Then dry off with a micro-fiber towel, wringing it out as needed.

If it’s a bit cooler, I’d do my head in one round, warm up again, and do my body.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Me undies.

Wear em every day, every night..

Used to wear smartwool boxer briefs.. but at $45-$50 / pair.. having 5 or 6 pair added up.. and then they did not last that long either.

Me undies.. half that price.. better fit.. last forever it seems..

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

>> So what do you do in the snow if no running water? I assume you opt to use sunscreen then?

Yeah, rather reluctantly, limited sunscreen in sunny weather in the snow.
    Actually, we have resorted to bandanas across the face, dark glasses or goggles, and wide-brim hats at times. Sleeves over our hands. Looked like a couple of bandits!

Cheers

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

There are many good sunscreens around that don’t use artificial chemicals, clay is one of them as is a good thick layer of dirt or mud, wood ash, ground charcoal etc.
    But in really hot sun and dry conditions nothing works as well as natural fibres like cotton and linen made into loose long sleeved shirts.
    In winter snow makes a good body scrub but I need to have my warm layers close by to jump into

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

Just a night or two I don’t bother with anything. I’ll wash when I get home. I do dip in creeks if they are available and it’s hot out. I’m not picky. For an overnight I don’t usually change clothes. Sometimes I’ll change into my long underwear for bed.

I’ve used sunscreen hundreds or thousands of times and never noticed it at all.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Washing feet and backside is good.

Cheers

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I do a quick rinse nearly every night and sometimes during the day when an opportunity presents itself.   As Roger mentioned, it can be a very quick dip followed by an equally quick exit.  I call it the high mountain dive, it’s where you dive off a rock and turn towards the shore before you hit the water, effectively cutting your exit time.  In streams, rivers, and small ponds where there isn’t enough water depth to dive, I wade in and then lie back.  I then use a couple of drops of Dr Bonner’s under my arms and in the nether regions away from water and rinse with a few squirts of my water bottle, which double as the back country body bidet.

I also rinse my hiking clothes out nearly nightly and find they are pretty much dry in the morning, although I must admit there have been more than a few times I had to beat them on a rock or log to loosen up the ice. It makes for an invigorating first mile or two but when in cold temps and wet weather I will typically refrain from the clothes rinsing until better weather.

I sleep in my “camp” clothes which consist of Patagonia lightweight long tops and bottoms and a clean pair of light socks.  Just over 8 oz for a large top, medium bottom, and liner socks.  I know, this is BPL but I sleep so much better and they also are my cold weather base layers if the need should arise.

I cover up in the sun and hike in an OR sun runner hat with cape and long sleeve mock t and use sunscreen only on my hands, if at all.  I hike in long baggy shorts and between those and pulling my socks up, I am pretty much covered.  Pun intended.

As to underwear, I hike in nylon mesh boxers that get rinsed out nightly and will dry very quickly, even in high humidity and cold temps.  There, perhaps a bit too much info, but this has worked for more than 45 years of backpacking and thousands upon thousands of miles in all kinds of conditions, at least for me and as always, YMMV.

Stuart Murphy
    BPL Member

@stu_m

Thanks everyone

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

We don’t wash clothing on trips of less than a few weeks, but we do wash socks and sometimes gaiters.

Cheers

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

This is a very personal issue and different people can tolerate different levels of stickiness and still feel comfortable.  I’m guessing that I’m a bit like you and the grimy sticky feeling i have found affects my sleep quality and relaxation at night.  Therefore, if possible I take a full wet micro towel bath when it is real cold or jump in if it is not too cold.  If time is limited ill just wipe down my face feet, and nether regions.  I also cover up everything bc I burn easily…..even wear sun gloves, buff around neck, and bandana cape under baseball cap, so only place where I have to wash off sunscreen are the cheeks and nose.  I also wear super thin wool underwear since it breathes better and feels less sticky than synthetics.  On long trips I have an extra wool boxer for sleeping and on a short trip I will sometimes use cotton since I don’t have to worry about washing it. On a long trip ill wash the wool underwear and it’ll dry in a couple hours. Also, to allow for baths even in cool evenings the luxury of another microtowel to dry off quickly is key.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I really like the 2 gallon ziplock bags for a bathtub. Easy to carry water away from the source, and wash with whatever you have – bandana, microfiber, sponge, or one of those “instant” towels that come in a little disc. I wash face and arms first – those are the parts I notice most if dirty or sticky with sweat. Using a bidet for bathroom needs instead of scraping with dead trees keeps me continually clean down under.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Sometimes you can find a little cut-off pool isolated from the stream by lowered water levels or maybe a rock tank like a tinaja, just sitting there in the sun getting nice and warm. Time to stop for a bath!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Here’s an example. This reflecting pool is actually up on top of the big rock knob just west of the intersection of the Indian Pass trail and the Titcomb Basin/Island Lake trail. One can sit on the edge, out of sight,naked as a jaybird, overlooking that whole scenic basin with this solar heated private pool. The rocks are nice and warm too.

Indian Creek Reflecting Pool

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Sponge bath with a bandana and cold water. Go for a swim if you find a good swimming hole. No sunscreen. Cover your skin and wear a hat. One of my favorite pieces of gear are my sun gloves. I’m a lady and I bought a pair of Lightheart Gear ladies boxers. They are pretty comfortable and I can go swimming in them without having to get naked in front of people.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Synthetic compression short type underwear

Clean in towns

Sunscreen….avoid it.   Backs of hands, face, shin to ankle if in shorts.   At most.  Preferable to wear ventillated long pants, buff, sungloves.   Sometimes it’s too hot for that though…..

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I thought this thread was about hiking with headlamp, which I could share some insight :)

I carry several wet wipes in a ziplock, in the evening I take a short “bath” before climbing into my bag- starting high and ending low (not the other way around!)- toss into another ziplock or in a fire

if that doesn’t do the trick, I’ll suffer in a cold creek or lake for a minute or two

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Ultrarunning taught me this as a way to prevent chaffing and monkey-butt, but it’s transferred over to multiday backpacking trips as well.  A preventative light coating of Desitin diaper rash creme or simple zinc oxide paste in the cracks and creases of the netherworld  can work wonders in preventing skin issues and overall funk.  The bad funk, that is.

I have no interest in suppressing the good funk.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Cotton underwear doesn’t work well in hot humid conditions (which is what happens in the nether regions). You don’t want moisture down there because it promotes bacteria and fungi, which is most often the cause of discomfort.

Chaffing and Jock Itch

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Obx hiker.  I have used that pool several times over the years.  It’s just as you describe and a welcome end to a long day.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

I wear cotton underwear – have done so all my life. No problems.

Cheers

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools