Topic

How to share Garmin inReach

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to share Garmin inReach

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ross Ghiotto
    BPL Member

@rossg00

Has anyone let a friend borrow their Garmin inreach? If you have could elaborate on how to set it up for them so that it’s not linked to your name and phone? I have a friend I was going to let borrow it but switching it seems a little challenging. Thank you!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

A friend of mine just borrowed one to do the JMT.  He covered the monthly cost and changed who got the alerts, but it still showed the “true” owner on the trail and it was the owner’s inReach mapsite that was updated.  Unless you have dozens of contacts, just let him take it and replace the contacts with the people to whom he wants to send messages.

Ross Ghiotto
    BPL Member

@rossg00

Ok thanks Kevin. Do you know if he just synced the inreach to the Earthmate app on his phone?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’m pretty sure he did, but I don’t think he used the Earthmate app at all. Since they were out for 14 days battery consumption was a concern. As I was watching their progress on the JMT I could see that pretty clearly. They had the tracking turned on sending updates every 10 minutes the first 6 days of the trip until they got to VVR and could recharge everything. The second half of their trip they turned off tracking and used it to send just two messages a day: “Starting out for the day” and “Setting up camp for the night”. I don’t know how much battery he had left but he did say that he was concerned about the amount of overall “juice” he had left towards the end of the trip. I think he was using his cell phone for photos and didn’t want to miss the photo op at the top of Mt Whitney at the end of the trip.

You’re thinking of loaning it to someone you trust…Just change your inReach.com password to something you don’t mind sharing and I’m pretty sure they’ll be able to do what they need to and then you can restore your password when you get the unit back. I had offered him mine but he has a local friend who offered so I didn’t have to bother shipping mine.

Kelly C
    BPL Member

@drsolarmolar-2

Maybe late to the party here, but I’d think it’s simply a matter of changing contacts in explore.garmin.com and then syncing that new info to the inReach.

The unit will always show up as “yours” though.

Ross Ghiotto
    BPL Member

@rossg00

I forgot to mention that I have the inreach mini. Not sure if that changes anything. I went and changed the contacts. Now I’m order for him to make custom texts he would just need to download the Earthmate app and then pair the inreach with his phone??

Kelly C
    BPL Member

@drsolarmolar-2

Either that or teach them to use the Scroll-text feature built into the inReach.  If they’re not going to send many custom texts that’s not a bad way to go.

Also there’s the 3 preset messages and up to 20 Quick messages that don’t require entering text.  That’s a pretty good spread.  How many/how often are they planning on sending custom texts?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools