Topic

How to sew the bottom onto a rolltop bag?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to sew the bottom onto a rolltop bag?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

I am sewing my own rolltop backpack, and have it all thought out except the bottom? I have front, back, and side panels but not quite sure how to sew the bottom on?

Any links you can point me towards? Preferably with pictures or video?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Mike—Have you made a pack before? You know to sew everything together inside out, I assume. :)

I’m working on one now, but mine is only two main pieces: back/bottom and side/front/side (which has fewer seams).

I’d say: sew the sides to the back and front, then sew the bottom, starting at one point and going all the way around to where you started.

Mike J
    BPL Member

@mikejones3-2

Locale: SoCal

This is my first backpack! Yes I know to sew inside out!

I was just looking for some visuals before I start sewing the bottom on.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I hope this quick sketch helps.  By far the easiest way to do a bottom that I’ve found – All straight, long stitches.

BP Diagram

Attach the 4 sides to the bottom piece.  Then bring the sides together and sew!  Done.  You can spare yourself a couple of seam lines if you cut the entire thing as one raw piece – but that can minimize fabric yield if supply or cost are issues.

R
    Spectator

@autox

There are many ways to skin this cat.

Here’s a detailed look at one of them: https://backpackinglight.com/make_your_own_gear_five_yards_to_sul_part_4/

Matt – I hadn’t considered that before – good one.

Mike – in my projects, I try to avoid sewing circular seams, which is what you describe, attaching the bottom as the last step.  I find it too easy to end up a little bit off on length, resulting in a small pleat one one side of the seam or the other when I get back around to where I started.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools