Topic

How to mark slick nylon fabric?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to mark slick nylon fabric?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I’ve just started putting together my RayWay backpack kit. I got it to practice sewing before I try my hand at my own backpack design.

All I have to mark the fabric (slick nylon) with is a chalk-filled plastic thingie. The chalk just falls off the nylon almost before I can sew two pieces together.

What do you use to mark slick nylon?

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I assume that you are trying to avoid leaving any permanent marks on the fabric.  If you don’t care about that, any Sharpie should work.

If you want an unblemished fabric, use a soft lead pencil (which will not stain).  You can also buy a NON-permanent marker made for this purpose at a sewing store, like JoAnn Fabrics (or similar).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah “dressmaker’s marking pencil” is non permanent – chalk? – it may come off before you’re done needing it

I just use sharpie – I’m proud of the layout lines.  If they’re at the edge of the fabric they can get hidden along with the raw edge you want to hide so it doesn’t unravel

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

I find a silver sharpie works really good and any leftover marks don’t detract from the looks as much as a black sharpie

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, I don’t want it to be a permanent marker. I looked online for non-permanent ones and found some odd items.

I’ll just go to Joann’s in town here and see what they have.

Btw, the fabrics are black, darkish gray, and darkish green. So I’ll look for a light colored marker.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools