Topic

How to Make a Footbox for the $20 Costco 50F Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How to Make a Footbox for the $20 Costco 50F Quilt

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

See next post

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Planning to pick up the $20 Costco down blanket as a summer non-alpine conditions quilt. Based on the loft it looks good to about 50-60F and of course warm clothing layers and a hat or balaclava would extend its range. Weight is supposed to be about 15.5 oz (440g) according to Alan Dixon on his excellent Adventure Alan blog. 20D polyester/nylon shell. Size is 60 in. x 70 in. Loft 0.7-1 in.

Do you think it would be worth modding the bottom to make a footbox that can zip closed or close with a drawstring, to add some warmth to your lower legs and feet when needed? Has anyone tried this?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Thanks Ken, that’s some thread, looking forward to reading.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Just wanted to let you know that the quilt sewn will fit someone up to 5′ 5″.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Aaron, just saw your post in the email thread subscription message, but when I click on the BPL thread link it doesn’t appear, so pasting below.

“Aaron Sorensen wrote: Just wanted to let you know that the quilt sewn will fit someone up to 5′ 5″.”

Thank you Aaron for the heads up. I’m 6′ but since I was planning to use this as a summer quilt with my head sticking out, think I could get away with the post-footbox mod length?

Zipped or drawstring footbox?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

I made a quilt for myself by using just one throw.

I had the 2 tapered pieces from the sides at 40″ long and 10″ wide and sewed them together and added it to the foot box.

It easily fits me at 5′ 11″.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Hi Aaron, I’m getting notice of your posts on this thread, but when I follow the link to the thread, or access the thread from the site navigation, your posts don’t appear. Here’s the latest:

“Aaron Sorensen wrote:

I made a quilt for myself by using just one throw.

I had the 2 tapered pieces from the sides at 40″ long and 10″ wide and sewed them together and added it to the foot box.

It easily fits me at 5′ 11”.

Post Link: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/how-to-make-a-footbox-for-the-20-costco-50f-quilt/#post-3434110″

I’m having trouble picturing this – do you have a photo? Also did you sew a permanent foot box or one that can open with a drawstring/zipper? I’m thinking for a summer quilt it might be useful to open it fully for warmer nights.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

It appears I am not the only member with this problem.

Bill Giles
    BPL Member

@wgiles51

Locale: Central Illinois

I’ve got a couple of them and originally thought that I would cut about 18″ off one and add it to the other. I’ve used mine as an inner liner in my Climashield quilt and had no problems. For my purposes, I no longer see the need to lengthen the throw, but intend to sew a drawstring pocket to one end. I’ll probably sew some pieces of shoe lace to the sides around 20″ and 40″ up from the bottom so I can keep my legs from kicking out from under the throw. Mine weigh right at one pound each, so I don’t want to add too much to them. A simpler approach would be to sew laces to the corners and mid-sides, like a poncho liner, but that would still allow drafts. Using it as a liner, my main objective is to keep it from getting tangled up when I get out in the middle of the night. I like to have a layered  sleep system so I can add or take away as needed.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

I went real low-tech, no cutting no sewing. I just added some KAM snaps across the bottom and partway up the long ends from the bottom to make a real simple quilt. The footbox is too roomy because it isn’t tapered, and yes the snaps don’t seal like sewing or a zipper would, but it’s for mild temps so no matter. And with the wide footbox it fits over my 30F quilt to help take that lower.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools