Topic

how to keep trekking poles handles from sinking into the snow

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) how to keep trekking poles handles from sinking into the snow

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

When we camp in our trekking poles tents (Stratospire 2, X-mid2) we like to use the trekking poles with tips facing up, as the poles sit more solidly in the peaks of the tent that way. Works great, but, when we snow camp the pole handles (which are down in the snow) slowly but surely tunnel their way into the snow. Anyone have any clever/light/small ways to keep this from happening? We have, in the past, used pieces of packing foam, but it’s kinda bulky (see photo).

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

If you have two sets of poles and one 2P shelter, you can strap/lash the sets of poles together so the tips are pointed at both ends and the baskets can keep from digging into snow. People do this with single pole mids in snow all the time, but to be fair, it’s also to increase the pole length.

I personally just compact down the spot where my pole goes and then extend it as the snow melts under it slowly. And that’s with with a skinny pole jack and not even a handle. I also have 1/8 in foam pads used for my doorstep sometimes and can put the trekking pole on it to stay in place.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@steve_s-2

Gusty winds coupled with tension on the pole or poles have to be countered with the pole being and remaining centered on a snow shoe of some kind, adequate for the snow conditions. Else, the tent fabric loses tension. Pole baskets can saw through layers, suddenly dropping.

I’m glad that foam snow shoe worked under the conditions you experienced, Paul, but the area covered by the foam looks marginal. The rectangular shape may be useful if one know in advance the axis wind loading might take. I would sleep better in soft snow and gusting moderate winds with a larger footprint, along with the pole anchored such that the footprint could not tilt much relative to the pole’s long axis. In a mid I’ve placed the pole on a pack to distribute the load enough and, with the huge footprint, did not worry about tilt.  Somebody with a 3d printer may have some creative ideas for use in trekking pole tents where space is scarcer.

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

couldn’t you unscrew the snow baskets from the tip-ends, which you’re putting at the higher end, and stick the baskets under the handles? Might not be ideal, and might be fussy, but wouldn’t be any added items or weight.

Steve S
    BPL Member

@steve_s-2

Daniel, I find that to be too risky. A cold front passing over in the middle of the night could lead to real misery. There’s little to hold the handle centered if the tent moves with gusts: the basket is likely to tip if the handle gets off center, leaving the pole unsupported; and the surface area of the usual pole basket is too small for security under many snow conditions.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

What Johan said: “I personally just compact down the spot where my pole goes and then extend it as the snow melts under it slowly.”

Sometimes I carry the top from those round boxes of tennis balls and use it.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Well, if you are walking or snowshoeing in snow, then you would have the snow baskets attached to just above the pole tips.  If not, when you get to your snowy tent site, screw off the mud baskets and screw on the snow baskets as Dan suggests.  Then, since you should compress the snow under the tent footprint, be sure it is also compressed it below the basket, as Johan suggests.

Then the pole grip will be at the top end of the pole.  If that fits your T-pole tent, fine.  If not, drill a hole at the top of the grip that will fit snugly over a short piece of alloy rod that will also fit into the grommet at the tent peak..  The alloys used for shepherd hook stakes make good metal stock for this purpose.  And cut, file, buff and fashion the ends of the short piece of rod to fit into the grommet.

When taking down the tent. remove the short piece of rod so that the grip cannot present any harm to your palm when it is over the grip to add leverage, particularly when going downhill.  This should cover most of the poles I use; but if not, you might have to improvise a bit more.  Good Luck.

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

You can also just fill a stuff sack with snow, smash it, and then put that under your pole. Thats how MSR actually recommends pitching their pyramids!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools