Topic

How To Camp in Cold and Snow?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How To Camp in Cold and Snow?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chuck C.
    BPL Member

@ccanode

Locale: Phoenix

I was asked by my son’s Boy Scout troop to give advice on how to “snow camp”. Living in Phoenix, that isn’t something I do. When it is cold up north, I do my backpacking in the desert. Besides using a closed-cell foam pad under a regular sleeping pad, what are some additional tricks to stay comfortable or at least safe in cold and snow?

Since the audience will be mostly 13 year old boys, I’m especially interested in tips that involve using things commonly (and cheaply) available.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Im also very interested in this topic!

I thought it was supposed to be CCF pad on TOP of your regular pad.

Something cheap or commonly used might be bread bags under your socks and snow mitts for a cheap VBL effect.

And stacking multiple sleeping bags to increase warmth if you don’t have one winter bag (but you do happen to have multiple 3-season bags???).

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Chuck

There was a thread on this topic in the BPL with Scouts Forum https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/96341/

Will there be snow to camp in and on?  Will there enough be snow to build snow shelters? Is this beginner snow camping?

I can find and post the lists I have used for my Scout snow camping trips if you like.  If this is a first time trip in the snow, I would recommend either snow camping in the front country or no more than 1/2 from the cars in case a Scout gets into trouble.  ALso highly recommended would be a close by cabin or warming hut a wet Scout could retreat into. I have had Scouts get into snow play and have frozen snow all day under their clothes who do not complain about being cold until 2 hours after sunset. :-))

For a first time, one nighter and because a Scout is Thrifty

insert one summer bag inside another for the sleeping system

Use two summer pads, one inflatable and one closed cell. If you are using a NeoAir, it is often better to put the closed cell on top of the inflatable. But for regular Thermarests work on top of the closed cell

The boots are problematic since they are so expensive Some people have found rented snow mobile boots work. If the Scout has a good “waterproof” backpacking mid height boot, you create poor man’s vabor barrier with vegetable bags from the grocery store or the rain cover bags the morning paper comes with. Top off with gaiters.

For snow travel if any, have all the Scouts and the whole crew use the same method. Do not mix skiers with snow shoers since they travel at different paces and the good skiers will get very impatient.

PM me back if you want the packing list. I have heard good things about the Philmont winter training and many local councils have training on how to plan safe and fun winter trips.

Cheers/Bruce

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Chuck

This being BPL. I am sure there will be lots of recommendations about gear. Have more than one person know First Aid esp for hypothermia. I was not on this outing, but there was a trip where a Scout walked right into a stream. Hence the need to know how to treat hypothermia (and where to find the Scout’s dry clothing). I was also not on this trip, but make sure the Adult leadership roles are clearly defined. We had a Troop where two strong willed Dads were absolutely certain of the right path and split the group in two. Always a recipe for disaster IMO. Same point about adult Leader roles if there is a bit storm or white out and who decides what the plan A and plan B are.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

once it gets cold, especially if there good wind … frostbite is a very serious concern

make sure folks check each other for signs of it, especially on the face, and know how to deal with it

same with hypothermia mentioned above

and getting water penetration in yr boots or clothing puts you at risk of hypothermia/frostbite … which is why the eskimos say

to sweat is to die

from one of the top researchers on cold weather effects on humans

https://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/kinrec/hlhpri/media/Cold_Weather_Clothing.pdf

;)

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

I wrote this recently.  Maybe it will be useful?

http://www.pmags.com/winter-backpacking-a-fourth-season-delight

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Proper tents rather than ‘airy’ shelters. Keep as much warmth in as possible.
    Try to get as many scouts into one tent as possible for more wamth. Not solo!
    Extra fuel and cocoa, and use the drinks.
    Windshirt over fleece for extra warmth, but don’t sweat.
    Warm head gear for both day and night.
    Thermal top and leggings for sleeping.

CCF foam under the air mat is slightly better imho. Full length, NOT short versions.

Hyper-vigilance on the part of the adult leader – watch for getting wet and cold.

Cheers

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

My advice is to not plan on spending a lot of time at camp, or have everyone bring a snow shovel and stay busy making tables, chairs, walls etc. Unless you can make a fire ( not a given…) time at camp can be cold and no fun at all.

Bring extra fuel…

ps. I say this because my last real snow trip got down to about 3 degrees and even though I brought a lot of insulation, I had to keep moving to be ok.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Since the Scouts were asking for a talk on “How to Camp in the Snow” you might want to take at look at Allen and Mike’s Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book by Allen O’Bannon (Falcon).Chapter 1 is Safety, Chapter 2 Equipment, Chapter 4 Camping in the Snow, Chapter 5 Snow Shelters, Chapter 6 Leave No Trace.  (The Scouts always find it amusing to hear my talk on how to poop in the snow with a WAG bag)

I also talk about how everything takes twice as long when you are snow camping: building the tent platform, setting up the tent, boiling a liter of water, travelling one mile, etc.  If you have the skills and time to work with the Scouts on building snow shelters, they have a lot of fun. I also inserted a competitive “survival fire” exercise into my trips using LNT principles. (We only used dead wood off the ground and built the fires on top of a fireproof platform. (Aluminum turkey pan on top of some logs))

BTW The book is full of great illustrations by Mike Clelland two or three of which might be useful for a 15 minute PPT for your Scouts.

Chuck C.
    BPL Member

@ccanode

Locale: Phoenix

Wow! Thanks everyone!  So much good info here,  This gives me a great head start!

tony g
    BPL Member

@tonyg

Locale: norcal

Have you checked with your council

HAT team to see if they offer a OKPIK traing course?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Buy the little illustrated paperback, “Allen & Mike’s Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book”.

And don’t let the title put you off because it’s only 1/3 about skiing.The rest is on clothing, gear, shelters, safety and cooking.

This is absolutely THE best winter camping book extant. And the illustrations are packed with information.

If you know (and practice) everything in this book you’ll be close to being an expert on winter camping.

BTW, You can take digital photos of many of the humorous illustrations and upload into your computer. Then you can use a digital projector hooked up to your computer and get the Scouts laughing but learning at the same time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools