Topic

HOW SHOULD WOMEN ACT WHEN ENCOUNTERING MEN ON THE TRAIL, ESPECIALLY SOLO HIKERS?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion HOW SHOULD WOMEN ACT WHEN ENCOUNTERING MEN ON THE TRAIL, ESPECIALLY SOLO HIKERS?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

In David Gardner’s thread

there were some good points brought about how women should react.

David, choose the ones you found most informative and list them here. Just the info gleened for women, don’t mention men 

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Dan did your wife ask you that question?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Dan did your wife ask you that question?

Nah…..she dictates how I should act. 

It’s all about how women should react. So many men are jerkbaits nowadays. Can’t fix stupid!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I’d carry pepper spray. Heck I do carry pepper spray.   A bucket of water is just too awkward and too heavy. Violates the principles of backpacking light

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Is this asking women how we should act toward men when we hike alone or is it asking men how women should act to ensure our safety around other men or??

On the topic of how women should act in general, I say it starts when we are little: stop rewarding compliance in both boys but especially girls. Stop telling us we are good for obeying. Do try and appreciate ( or at least get a kick out of) girls that say no, that don’t comply, that push back, that  don’t aim at being teachers pets etc. It takes either an innate temperament or practice to stand in a way that does not put someone else’s approval above our own “integrity”.
    Any “no” should be taken as “no” but why not feel confident while saying it.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^ +          raise an individual not an automaton? What a subversive idea. Someone who demands to be met as a person and not an object?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

That’s it?

Nothing else learned from David Gardner’s thread?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

On the topic of how women should act in general, I say it starts when we are little: stop rewarding compliance in both boys but especially girls.

Absolutely Kat. It’s amazing to me how subtly ingrained these behaviors are. When my children were young I had to have a talk with my own family members about this, even my liberal mother, a woman highly educated and steeped the feminist and civil rights movements of the 60s…Why was everyone complimenting my daughter for being cute and my son for being smart when she is equally (if not exceptionally) gifted in different ways…

It’s interesting seeing the default that people often revert to without even realizing it.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

YouTube video

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I recently saw a video of a pretty agressive cougar on the trail. It was on youtube.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

“I recently saw a video of a pretty aggressive cougar on the trail. It was on youtube.”

I was tempted to run with that one, but I’m already in enough hot water. However, it would have given the blue pill guys an opportunity to display their chivalry.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

I go on trail to take a break these kids of discussions.  A perfect trail is one where you encounter no people,  men, women,  single or otherwise.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Nice, that Anni DiFranco.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^^ yes

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

“Just the info gleened for women, don’t mention men”

Not sure what you mean Dan. I was interested in was hearing from women what words/behaviors put them at ease or made them uneasy when encountering men on the trail. So men could glean the lessons.

Seems like you’re asking the opposite?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

David, should they be talkative, reserved, one or two words………

How should women act????

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

However women want.

I’m not trying to be cute or evasive. First,

I would not pretend to answer on behalf of someone else.

Second, “should” totally depends on what a person wants to communicate. There are plenty of guidelines from women who have contributed to that thread about what works or doesn’t work for them, depending on context and intention. As well as plenty of feedback from women to contributions from men on this subject.

Hopefully we all try to speak and act with some self-awareness and consideration of what and how we are communicating, and how it might be perceived (or misperceived).

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Never Mind!

Cheers

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I think Doug won this thread.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I completely misunderstood the op and his ALL CAPS question.

I thought he was asking if women should maintain eye contact, make themselves look larger, and throw rocks, or avoid eye contact and slowly back away speaking in a low calm voice.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I wish more would offer snax…

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

They should…..act normal….

And they do.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools