Topic

How rattlesnakes fool you into thinking they’re right underfoot

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web How rattlesnakes fool you into thinking they’re right underfoot

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Evolution at work, there… although every time I encounter a rattlesnake, it really is right underfoot.  Both of us always seem equally surprised, too.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

When I was 18 or 19, I had a summer job where a friend and I were given machetes and told to chop down every thistle stalk in the fields and hills surrounding the subdivision. What could possibly go wrong?!? We ended up running into several snakes that summer and I can attest, that sound does work like a charm.

Due to them spooking me every time, I learned the smell of rattlesnakes, which alerts me even sooner. It’s a pretty strong B.O./sage/juniper scent which I imagine is lodged somewhere in the reptile/monkey part of my brain.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools