Topic

How often do you guys get on a trail?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique How often do you guys get on a trail?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Brian W
    BPL Member

@empedocles

I know this is a loaded question since getting out on a trail really depends on where you live. Some areas have much better access to trails and much better hiking friendly weather.

I try to get out on a trail at least once a week for a day hike. I try to car camp at least four or more times a year. And I try to get in some extended weekend backpacking trips.  I can’t always get in a full week every year.

The reason why I’m asking is because in my experience gear reviews and trends don’t always match my experience. Some are way off based on where I’m hiking. Now, I’m not a thru hiker, and I don’t have the lightest pack possible.

One trend that has failed terribly for me is the move towards minimal shoes. In my experience doing desert hiking or any hard trails, they totally fail me. Now, I don’t want to go back to boots, but I need more cushion. For soft, well maintained trails, they’re fine. How has your experience been? I gave up after a couple of hikes. Expensive mistake.

Now, sleep wise I love my Neoair. I’ll never go back to a pad for summer and shoulder season camping. And I have zero desire to do winter camping.

A one man tent is good enough for me. Tried a bivy on one weekend trip and gave up.  Worse sleep ever.

Any gear trends not work out for you when you got out to try it? How long did it take you to throw in the towel?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools