Topic

How Much Food Should I Pack? (How to save weight on backpacking food based on the energy-mile theory)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable How Much Food Should I Pack? (How to save weight on backpacking food based on the energy-mile theory)

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

the mix of one’s food should shift to an emphasis on carbohydrates when hiking at altitude,
    Reckon!
    We found the idea of fried food at 5,000 m almost distressing. But plain sugary biscuits were fine.

Cheers

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“We found the idea of fried food at 5,000 m almost distressing. But plain sugary biscuits were fine.”

Indeed. 5,000 meters is well into “The Zone”.  My favorite is instant mashed potatoes, but that is strictly personal.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert
    1. Petzold’s Theory and more refined data are a BASE of what caloric intake may be needed. Use it  to tell you that going below that intake may be insufficient to maintain health in a Long Trail thru hike.
    2.  Do not forget the psychological benefit of “comfort food” at the end of the day. Ramen and instant oatmeal can become repugnant after a while.
    3. Personal basal metabolisms vary greatly. I remember a one weekend 3 day backpack in Pennsylvania’s Allegheny National Forest (before it was clearcut) where a 5′ 8″ German exchange student who trained rigorously for bicycle racing Hoovered up every morsel of spare food he could beg after eating his own supply. Plan according to your needs.
    Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

One pound per day of food for me (includes the high calorie alcohol). I’ll finish with some food left, but never with drinks! I used to carry extra food (like an emergency ramen), but gave that up in favor of a lighter pack.

Now I look at any food left after a backpack with distaste. Why did I carry it all that ways?

I used to feel the same about extra fuel, but having run out on the last day I am back to planning 1 oz/person/day isobutane, then adding a couple extra ounces. I will burn some extra stove fuel at home to save ounces. So, I have lightweight dry (& freeze dried) food, but I carry more than the usual amount of fuel to cook it.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Im not a data guy to the extent of some of you, but I do appreciate data that qualifies decisions, such as food. Altitude numbs appetite, but doesnt change calories needed. Trekking the Andes in Peru was a good test. Can you get 5-6000 calories from 1.5 lbs of food? For a weekend trip you may wing it. Try that for a week of 5000 calorie days and visit Bonk City. Athletes with trained bodies burn calories efficiently. Weekend hikers do not. I tend towards hypoglycemia, so food at the ready is necessary. In Peru I came across 2 bonkers. 5 miles with a 7000 ft. drop to go. My spare food helped them get to the car, barely. When you plan food, plan beyond your own needs. As stated above, things happen you didnt plan for and that might occur next weekend……Just sayin’.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I normally budget on 750 – 800 g/day (26.5 – 28 oz) of fairly high-calorie food. That is the official budget, including a spare day for week-long off-trail walks in the Alps. The odd extra bit of sweets might sneak in on top of that.

Ha – one trip we had a bag of muffins attached to Sues pack as well: home-made, from daughter.

Cheers

Anne Flueckiger
    BPL Member

@annefluke

Locale: Northern Minnesota

I have also found the NOLS book helpful. Have not checked to see whether it corresponds more or less with Ryan’s info.

Re: hiking at altitude, instant taters AND plain sugary biscuits

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I allow 2 lbs food per day with the occasional 20 lbs per day—

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools