Topic

How long tent poles for flexible tarp setups?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How long tent poles for flexible tarp setups?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

So, I have just started using a tarp, so far only using trees and sticks to set it up. As I plan on using it above treeline as well I would like to buy some tent poles for it. As I don’t use trekking poles and never brought measuring tape I really don’t know how long the tent poles would have to be. After some searching on this forum I am probably going to choose some carbon tent poles from Ruta Locura that will have 8″ of flexibility.

I will mainly use my tarp in an A-frame set up with a 2 person net tent beneath and on occasion a modified pyramid (I think, like an a-frame in the front but where the back end goes to the ground and the middle is lifted by a guy line to a pole outside/inside). Anyone have any idea how long the poles would have to be? the tarp is 8,5 x 10 feet.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Not enough information.

However, you can set up the net tent without the tarp and measure it, figuring that the poles would need to be a couple of inches longer to provide some clearance.

Modified pyramid depends completely upon the configuration. Pitch it using a stick and get your measurement from that.

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

Not enough information.

I know it’s quite scarce, but isn’t it quite standard with an 8 x 10 flat tarp when I have 8″ of wiggle room?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

You need to set it up and measure. The taller the pole, the higher off the ground the edges will be… or the narrower the shelter if you move the sides closer to the ground.

I’ve never used a net, so I can’t speak to that.

Generally, the highest I’ll go in Pryamid mode with a flat tarp is 48 inches. You can always wrap tape around the pole to create a lower point for your guyline.

The carbon poles you are looking at (they’re what I use) aren’t cheap, so you want to be sure you get what you need the first time.

So the answer is…. measure.

You can buy inexpensive wood at your favorite big box home improvement store to experiment with at home.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Thomas, You can also make a tarp somewhat ‘self-adjusting’ by adding shock cord to the grommets on the tarp.   I made my tie-out loops  ~6″ long (about 15″ of cord each), and is what I use on a Gatewood Cape.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I know it’s quite scarce, but isn’t it quite standard with an 8 x 10 flat tarp when I have 8″ of wiggle room?

There is little that is standard with any tarp, especially basic flat ones. Preferences for overall height, side coverage for different conditions, bivy vs ground sheet vs net tent, physical size of the occupant, desired head room… all result in a huge range of possibilities.

Shaped tarps such as the Hexamid solo are pretty much limited to height variation. Simply offsetting the pole can lower the edges quite a bit.

Andre Buhot
    BPL Member

@shadow-mkii

My suggestion would be buy a cheap pair of trekking poles and use them as tarp poles for a couple of trips.  then you will know what you need.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools