Topic

How long should a down jacket last?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How long should a down jacket last?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Bought a pair of down parkas from our local branch of MEC 9 years ago when we began to get in to winter camping. Their main purpose was to act as backup, to be worn in case we had problems on the trail or in case we weren’t able to fire up the wood stove in our hot tent. As a rough estimate they’ve probably only been worn for less than 36 hours total over that time.
    last year I noticed a tear in the sleeve of my wife’s parka. I put this down to a snag and duly patched the hole. This winter, first time out and two more tears appeared as she pulled it from the stuff sac. It’s like some form of genetic disorder, the fabric has become weak, something I’d usually associate with UV exposure. My own parka in a different colour is not showing any sign of wear.
    MEC are telling us that despite their “rock solid guarantee “ that they don’t expect lightweight fabrics to last this long. They suggested Gorilla tape.
    Does anyone have any experience with parkas by other brands? We have sleeping bags that are far older and have seen more use that are still fine.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My Mont-Bell UL Down Jacket from 2008 is still going strong, and it’s been used and abused.

I would expect as long as it’s been stored correctly (no UV, humidity controlled, and somewhat climate controlled – ie I wouldn’t think fabrics would like 130* attics) they should last a long, long time.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I would guess at least 10 years minimum for UL fabrics.
    I’d argue that “Rock solid ” guarantee more briskly and ask for a replacement and see what happens

James R
    BPL Member

@wapitispokes

My feathered friends Icefall parka with a dry loft shell (I know, dry loft probably wasn’t the best shell fabric choice) is mint after probably 15 years of relatively light use in situations  similar to yours ( but a lot more days and hours of use than yours).

I even have an almost 50 year old Sierra designs “200 Perfect” heavy winter down bag that is fine, but the fabrics back then were quite robust. Was a Christmas gift from my parents and is rarely used these days

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

Thanks. We have replied disputing their conclusions. I suspect that if we had been able to return the jacket to our local store it wouldn’t have been a problem but with COVID restrictions in place, emailing photos to a bod at head office was more likely to receive a negative response. We have other jackets from Rab that are 25 years old and still going strong.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I have 2 Montbell  down jackets, 10 and 12 years old. They look like new still. They have had a lot of use in that time, not just for BPing. I wouldn’t accept MECs excuses.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

I have a Gerry down jacket I bought in Junior High, 1972. A little less loft than new. 70d ripstop.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

Like James R I have a FF Icefall parka (discontinued of course) which I first used on a winter trip in January 2010 so it’s 11 years old—after heavy use.  It’s shell is eVent.  Has around 15.3oz of quality down fill.  Still going strong and will accompany me on my next winter trip.

The lowest back baffles are woefully lacking in ample goose down but I have an old Exped downmat I could continue to cut apart and fill up my Icefall.  Most down garments are usually underfilled—too much fabric and too little down.  Btw, the snap-on hood is outstanding and can be worn alone when sleeping.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools