Topic

How do you pack your sleeping bag/quilt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How do you pack your sleeping bag/quilt?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Johanna “Goldilocks” Enlund
    Spectator

@goldilocks

Howdy y’all,

This is my first post on BL. I’ve been a long time lurker but I finally got a membership. :)

I’ve been looking into switching from my 0* sleeping  bag to an enlightened equipment quilt and I was looking for waterproof stuff sacks to use when I’m on the trail. While I was searching I saw that some people don’t even use a stuff sack for their sleeping bags and just stuff them in their packs and put all the other things on top.

So I was hoping folks could share their experiences/preferences with packing their sleeping bags or quilts. How do you pack and why do you do it the way you do? Thanks in advance!

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I have a Zpacks Arc Blast Pack, also their long, very wide 30F sleeping bag. The bag comes with a DCF “Dry Bag”. Fits in the inside bottom of the pack perfectly. The 1 or 2 oz is well worth the added security of a dry down bag.

Johanna “Goldilocks” Enlund
    Spectator

@goldilocks

Thank you for sharing, Erica. I will check that out!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Many here use a waterproof bag liner, Nyloflume, trash compactor bag, etc.  Personally I use an Exped Schnozzel as it also inflates my pad.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I just use a pack liner, clear plastic, think i got a 2 pack from Gossamer Gear. I stuff my quilt, under quilt and sleep clothes in there then fold it over.. and pack my hammock or tent and food bag on top. 

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil 8L Dry Sack, 32 grams (1.1 oz).

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have a ZPacks Arc-Zip and most of the time I pack my underquilt and top quilt in a non-sealed stuff sack (so air can easily escape as it compresses) and put it in the top of my pack and then cinch down the outside pack compression straps and the top magically shrinks.

For me, even when I put it in a waterproof stuff sack, I made sure I didn’t seal the sack or it was like a rigid balloon in my pack and took up way more space than it needed to.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Consider a “compression bag” like the Granite Gear Air Compressor .

A zero degree quilt will take up a Lot of volume if packed loose. The + 2 ounce weight penalty for a compressor bag would easily offset the need for a large pack.

Yes, it’s a sausage that you have to learn to pack around. It’s a skill you can learn.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Turkey bag. Easy to find, light, clear, sufficiently tough, just big enough to add inflatable sleeping pad and pillow, and sleeping socks.

Insert sleeping bag or quilt into turkey bag, push assembly into bottom of pack, squish enough air out to make room for rest of gear (don’t over-compress), then twist the top closed and fold it over.

If there’s no rain in today’s forecast, and no major water crossings, I just put the folded turkey bag into bottom of the pack and loosely pack sleeping bag on top. Why struggle for nothing?

— Rex

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

I use a compactor bag in the bottom of the pack which fits all gear that needs to stay dry. Quilt, spare clothes in dynema pillow sack , Puffy, etc.   Give it a few twists and put other gear on top.  As the trip goes on and my food shrinks the quilt is compressed less.

If there are going to be swimming water crossings then the drybag is worth the weight

Paul

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

I use Hyperlites large Pod for my Zpacks 5degree. Is a perfect fit for the HMGSouthwest I use. No space wasted

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I use cuben stuffsak.

Despite what you read, a stuffed quilt/bag does NOT take up more room.  I find it takes less. The compression makes up for less efficient use of space in my pack.  Ive done it both ways…..i prefer a stuffsak for insulation.

Dont count on it being waterproof, but it is a little extra protection from stray dribbles……and helps a lot with organization ability. At under 1 oz, its worth it.

Im normally against extra stuffsaks….this one im not.

My insulation, clothes, sleeping pad go  in liner, twisted up for water tight. Everything else can get damp. Do a quick inflation leak check on rain mornings before packing….patch any holes with tape.   Small holes can occur.

Well, theres not much else except tarp, cookpot, raingear.   Miscl items are in ziplock

I use cuben pack for high degree of water repellency.  Would never go back to non-water resistant pack where it soaks thru…..absolutely ridiculous

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

Sea and Summit Ultra-Sil Nano 8L dry sack at 0.8oz.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I stuff mine in an old fleece lined thermarest stuff sack that goes on top of my folded neorest pad in the bottom of my pack. Bear can lays on top of this.

I like the old stuff sack, I use it as a pillow case with my clothes that I place atop an inflatable pillow that brings it to just the right height for side sleeping.  And the fleece is nice against my face.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Bag is stuffed in a Nyloflume bag at the bottom, top is twisted and tucked along the side. So durable and light, just noisy during the stuffing part (never hear it during the day).

Every DCF bag I’ve had gets wear holes. I would never trust one with keeping my gear dry.

Leon T
    BPL Member

@tickshot

I just stuff mine into my pack, I like to use it to fill in empty spaces in my pack. I carry an exped schnozzle modified to fit a thermarest as a WP sack if needed, but I usually just stuff that in my pack too. I only use it if rain or deep crossing is expected. Most of my hiking is in SoCal and the sierra so not much need for WP liner, but I always carry it.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Over the last 20 years I seem to switch between 4 different options every year or two.  I guess I can’t make up my mind. Currently  (and most frequently used) is a 12l? sil nylon drybag which is sometimes more volume than I need, but I just roll the excess.  Easy to stuff. Large enough for my quilt and any seasons clothing I want protected that doesn’t come out until shelter is set up. I am sure will keep things dry. Downside is that it’s a big lump.  The good news is that the lump is approx the same size / shape as the bottom of my pack.

Others that I seem to swap back to:

thermarest sil-nylon + fleece inner “pillow”. 8L?  Perfect size for my quilt and sleep socks and light vest. Sierras in summer when I am not looking for absolute protection.

turkey bag as rex described. Cheap, light. Always a bit nervous that I won’t seal it well enough (but never had a problem). Can’t really stuff things in.

GG Pack liner: Get a ideal distribution of items in pack rather than having a lump to work with.  Worry that I will end up with moisture / dirt transfer from other items. Mostly hasn’t been a problem because I can always shut the liner and put the items on top.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools