Topic

Hot tent stove jack opening

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Hot tent stove jack opening

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt W
    Spectator

@will1e

My tepee tent has flap that can be opened so that a velcro stove jack can be installed.  I bought the stove jack material and will stitch the velcro to it.  My question is around the opening/profile for the pipe.  My stove pipe is 2.5″ in diameter.

Should i just slit an X shape that will allow the pipe through and then let the flaps rest on the pipe?  Kinda like this: https://kitchigami.files.wordpress.com/2018/12/DSC_0162.jpg?w=521&h=346

Cut a simple oval so that the pipe doesn’t touch at all.  Like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QivrwmHMynk/maxresdefault.jpg

Or should i do something else?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I would think that it will be difficult for the pipe not to touch and maybe the more air tight it is the better it would work.

Some have an expandable gasket like this :

but an x would be simpler to do .

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

It’s fine to have the pipe touching the jack fabric. In fact, that’s the only thing stabilizing the pipe. You can cut a spoke-shape (the multi-armed ‘X’ in the first pic) into the fabric with an oval outer radius so that the pipe rests against the folded base of the lobes when inserted. That’s more durable that cutting an oval completely out and having the pipe lean against a cut fabric edge. Start with the horizontal spokes 2.5” across (total: the pipe diameter) and the vertical about 3” to accommodate the slope of the shelter wall. 8 spokes total should do it (at noon, 1:30, 3:00, 4:30, 6:00, etc). Practice first on a scrap of fabric if you don’t want to commit immediately to the shape.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools