Topic

Hot Head

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hot Head

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

I’m an old guy with male pattern baldness right on top of my dome.  I’ve tried a lot of hats for sun protection , but the ventilation areas don’t seem to be enough to keep me cool. I’m looking for a hat , that has a lightweight brim 2.5 inches out or maybe three , and venting all the way around , but coverage directly on top . Your suggestions are appreciated !!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

Pith helmet with a solar-powered fan?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

You could try a sun hoodie with a visor.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Bill Budney
    BPL Member

@billb

Locale: Central NYS

Umbrella hat or Montbell Umbrero. Only the soft headband touches your head. The rest floats above, for maximum ventilation.

Dan
    BPL Member

@dan-s

Locale: Colorado

I have an old Columbia hat exactly like that, huge brim and mesh all around except for the top. Looks a bit ridiculous, but I love it. Unfortunately, I haven’t seen anything quite like it for sale in recent years. Brims are mostly narrower now and the mesh usually doesn’t go all the way around. Still, I bet there’s something like it somewhere, maybe Walmart or Alibaba, so hopefully someone will post a link.

Justin Mckinney
    BPL Member

@sierrajud

Locale: California

This hat looks perfect !! Thank you !!

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I have the Tilley hat:  LTM8 Airflo Hat – Tilley USA

Even with this hat I still suffer with a hot head, and it’s gotten worse as I’ve gotten older.  My solution is to use a chrome dome umbrella and not wear a hat unless the umbrella cannot be used (such has high wind days).

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Montbell Rain Umbrero has better ventilation than the sun version (best airflow I have found).  Coat inside with UV blocking paint.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah this describes me as well.

I don’t know anything cooler than a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat. I’m not a vain person but I cannot bear to wear it on dayhiking local trails but it’s a winner in the backcountry. It crushes down flat, is adjustable, but mostly it is very well ventilated and prioritizes sun protection. 12/10 would recommend.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

The Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat looks like an interesting alternative to something like an Echo hoody.  How’s the fit?  I’m right between sizes.

They also sell an Ultra version which gets good reviews.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I had the Adventure hat. Reminded me of a bonnet. Little House on the Prairie type. That was fine though. I found it a good fit. Comfortable. I didn’t like the large brim when hiking uphill or actually at all. It sort of blocks my view. Personally, I find it distracting. I gave mine away to somebody who didn’t mind it and got good use out of it. I’ve settled on a 3” brim.

David D
    BPL Member

@ddf

I get a baby soother vibe off it, but it does look effective.  The Ultra has a 3.5″ brim, a bit smaller than the regular’s 3.75″.

Is there a breathable, light, quick drying hat with a 3″ brim and a protective neck cape but not a side curtain covering the ears like in a runners cap?  I’ve never been able to find one.

My 3″ brimmed Outdoor Research Sombriolet is great for fishing with enough sun coverage for me but the stiff back brim bangs up against the pack and its hot to hike in despite it’s goofy little air vents.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

The Sunday afternoon adventure hat was my goto for around 10 years.  Silly looking, but functional.

I have to say the Umbrero trumps it for unusual looking (outside asia) and is cooler / better ventilation.

In some venues I get contempt (mostly from other males) who can’t believe I am wearing the hat… but I have had a lot of women comment favorably, and many people come up to me and ask “Where can I buy a hat like that?”.  I think 3-4 people in our hiking group in Portland have ordered one in the last month. What I enjoy the most is people who see the hat and break out into a huge grim because they enjoy it.  Nothing like bringing a bit of laughter and joy into the world. :)

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I have no contempt. I may get a laugh, but I have the upmost respect for function over fashion and those who follow that principle. Like carrying a water bottle high on my shoulder strap. I don’t like umbrellas either. Too much in my line of vision.
    I’ve settled on the “Outback” packable style hats. The brim dips in the back and folds down against the pack. Not too stiff. I can put my hoodie up over it. Twice the weight of the Adventurer. At least mine is. Six ounces. It has a leather brim and top. I guess you could clip a small cloth in the back, but the brim works pretty well. Let’s the breeze in. Another option is straw, but they don’t last long.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

I too need UV protection up top and have a hot head. I have found an incredibly breathable hat that offers uv protection-Headsweats Race cap, sold on Amazon. It’s not perfect as I wish it was a tad bigger for my head, but by far it breathes the most of any hat I have tried. You can feel the slightest breeze on your dome yet it prevents sunburn.  When it’s not very warm and I need a bit of insulation, Patagonia Airshed cap is my go to. Traps a little heat when needed but still breaths decently.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

For dedicated hot, I’d go with a brimmed sun hat preferably with ventilation.  There’s the Columbia Bora-Bora with mesh sides/back, and like designs .. though that gets into the fabric boonie.  Noticing more discount brand sun hats mimicking the name brands too (more of the general population in the Sunbelt are going wide brim .. all age groups).  The brims tend to flop in wind though. Patagonia sometimes has a sun hat with meshed perimeter vents whichever work surprisingly well and a slightly more stable brim.  More expensive, Shelta has stiff [front] brimmed sun hats to eliminate “wind flop”, originally for boating winds, with “micro-vents”; been thinking about cutting my own Patagonia style perimeter vents in one of their more hike friendly styles.

All that said, if going into mountains or uncertain precip, I go with a baseball style cap with mesh sides under a synthetic sun hoody garment.  The ability to easily layer any insulation and/or shell hoody in case of rain can’t be overlooked.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Old, very white guy with thin hair here.

It feels 10-15F cooler under a silvered “sun-brella” in the sun and, during mostly vertical rain/mist, it has much better visibility and lets my clothing dry as I wear it more than a parka.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@HkNewman I have tried the boonie style hats with mesh sides. What I have found is the most important piece in really venting a truly hot head is the top fabric. It’s got to be highly breathable yet provide UV blockage-not an easy task. Most hats that claim breath really don’t. My Headsweats with my sun hoody-hood up-which is worn every single hiking trip provides great coverage-good mineral sunblock on the face only.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

A hot head is far,  far preferable to cancerous melanoma. all my hats are wide brimmed and SPF 50 at least. Recall that the ears and nose and neck  aren’t visible to you, so when you think you’re protected,  it may not be the case. You simply can’t see the sun on your face, even if your eyes are shaded. Take a photo or ask a friend.

And then there’s this:

https://www.sunprecautions.com/product/48100

I know,  it looks hot but look again.  The drape is loose. The fabric is white. the drape can be loosened entirely and even removed. Most  of all, this is the best mosquito hat ever. The l’il buggers can’t bite through it and anyway it hangs off your skin. You can pull it up over your nose.  A  highly versatile  hiking hat, for snow as well.

I tried a sunbrella that that  attached to my pack. I use poles,  so can’t hold an umbrella. I hike at exposed elevations. Winds would turn the umbrella inside out. In the end, I couldn’t make it work. Maybe a more robust sunbrella would…?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“I use poles, so can’t hold an umbrella”

I use a long-sleeved, collared nylon fishing shirt with epaulettes on the shoulders and place the handle of the sun-brella in one of the chest cargo pockets having run the shaft through the epaulette, making it hands-free.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

“I use poles, so can’t hold an umbrella”

I’ve rigged, using shock cord and cordlocks on my daypack and backpack shoulder straps, attachment points for my umbrella so it can be hands-free and I can use my hiking poles.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I’ve tried an umbrella several ways. I’ve yet to find a way where it didn’t flop around, stayed out of my vision, was easy to deploy, and wasn’t out of position every other turn of the trail. I find the handles are too short unless I hold it.

Josh Kuntz
    BPL Member

@josh_kuntz

Locale: Idaho & Montana

The First Lite Trace is my favorite hot weather cap.  Tons of ventilation around the sides, full coverage on the top.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!