Topic

Hooded Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hooded Vest

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Has anyone ever used a hooded vest as an insulation layer?

Im putting together a running kit and am trying to reduce volume.  Right now I have a 30C Montbell sleeping bag which is kind of inbetween for most situations.  Too warm in the summer and a little cool going into fall.  My thought to reduce volume is to switch over to a 40C EE bag which leaves the question of how to keep your head warm.

So I was thinking of getting a Borah gear vest and get hood added to it.  The vest would pack a little smaller than my ex light jacket and replace my toque I normally bring.  My OR Helium would be used over top if my arms are getting cold.

So has anyone used a hooded vest and do they find it practical or is it a situation that if you want the hood you want sleeves too.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

i have had a few types of this setup, with varying results:

1. down vest with separate down hood–tried together a few times to see if i wanted to get one made for me. your suspicions are correct: i wanted the sleeves before i needed the hood. and usually wore a beanie instead.
    2. synthetic version–another vest + separate hood i tried for a while. about the same experience as with down.
    3. neoprene hooded vest–not for you, but great for paddle sports, and got me thinking…
    4. fleece hooded vest–made this based on my experience with the neoprene, temps were warming, and i had a fleece jacket with torn sleeves from climbing. awesome. Awesome. really great for so many things. still use it for paddling, climbing, hiking, and running. lets me use a lighter base layer, boosts warmth under a shell or puffy, and my arms do not overheat. but i never want more warmth than this without adding to my arms.

think about whether your arms are getting warm and your head getting cold with your current setup, adjust to fit your body’s needs.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools