Topic

Hooded Patagonia Airshed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hooded Patagonia Airshed

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Looks like Patagonia has a hooded Airshed now—sort of. The hood and forearms are made from Capilene Cool while the body is the Airshed material.

Also looks like their Storm Racer has been changed again (at least three totally different designs using the same name) to be trail runner-specific–worn over a vest pack with two zippers to access water bottles on the straps. I love my previous generation Storm Racer as an UL 3 layer rain shell a la the M10.

I was just checking out their site the other day and these caught my attention.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Spoke with their chat agent today, the Airshed pullover is being discontinued. The new Airshed Pro seems to have a different fabric weight than the pullover. The chat agent confirmed they will have similar CFM in the nylon sections and worse in the Cap sections.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Iā€™ve had one of these for a couple of weeks now. Iā€™ve mostly used it as an outer layer over a long-sleeve silk-weight base layer (Arcā€™x Phase SL) and sometimes under a breathable wind shell (Patagonia Houdini Air) in coastal Alaska temps of ~27-35 F doing XC skiing, snowshoeing, and backcountry skiing. Iā€™m 5ā€™11ā€, 190#, and the size large fits well. Much more so than the original Airshed that fit like maternity wear with skinny sleeves, a gaping neck opening, and a billowing torso. Seriously, who tailored that POS? Anyway…

I like the addition of the hood a lot. On a recent backcountry snowshoe that involved grunting up steep and loose snow slopes in calm and humid conditions, cresting the mountain into a chilly and biting wind, and then descending the other side I was able to skip a hat and just flick the Airshedā€™s hood up and down and adjust the zipper for a wide range of exertions and conditions. I canā€™t say itā€™s any better In that application than current breathable Ā windshells on the market like the Houdini Air though. It offers a comfy capilene fabric hood (nice) which offers no adjustments (hmm- though it fits a bare head well) and lacks any pockets at all (2x hmm), but the stretchy lower arms can be pushed up for ā€˜ventingā€™ in some circumstances (neutral). Itā€™s neither a base layer or a light shell, so does neither well, but kinda/sorta does both?

So far I like it, but I think I still like a silk-to-mid-weight zippered long-sleeve T with a breathable wind shell better. Like an Arcā€™x Phase SL or AR with a Montbell Tachyon or Patagonia Houdini Air. Come spring, I may find greater versatility with the Airshed Pro over a light, synthetic, short sleeve T for hiking. Iā€™m sure trail runners that never want to stop to adjust will find a friend in the Airshed Pro.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools