Topic

Hoka Speedgoat and Cross Country?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hoka Speedgoat and Cross Country?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Any thoughts on how well a Speedgoat performs off trail, like ridges and passes in the High Sierra ala the SHR?

Sloan
    Spectator

@gingersnap

I used the speedgoat on Andrew Skurkas Pfiffner traverse high route along with a Colorado trail through hike.

I don’t have extensive experience with other shoes that might be more purposefully designed for it but I can say the traction was great, I love the cushion of the hokas but I do think the large stack height of the shoe made them feel less stable than one might like. Especially when side hilling or on large chunky rock. They also offer little to no protection on the sides of your feet if you strike a rock from the side anywhere above the sole of the shoe.

I fully intend to keep using the speedgoat for on trail hiking but will probably look into something more suited to a high route if I do another one in the future.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

^Thanks, this is sort of what I was guessing. Might be worth a try anyway. Unfortunately I can’t find a single La Sportiva that fits me…

Currently using Salomon Speedcross 5. Pretty happy with them all around, but the forefoot rock protection isn’t great on talus.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

I’ve used Hoka Mafate’s on all the SHR. I would think the Speedgoat’s would do just as well. I used La Sportiva’s and Salomon’s on sections as well. All fine.

I wouldn’t worry so much on what shoe, but rather fit: make sure that you a little extra room in case your foot swells later on during a warm day, AND you can lock it down so your foot doesn’t move around inside the shoe (when on talus,etc).

But regarding using an shoe with “Stack.” The extra stack can be a plus over talus, because it absorbs sharp edges over talus (perhaps better than even a rock plate).  If you have balance or ankle problems then IMHO they are more likely due to bad proprioception (trainable).

The one caveat for pure trail runners is if you need to use crampons or kick lots of steps in snow (read big snow year). Trail runners, particular those with lots of stack, aren’t ideal for this. Crampons don’t fit well, and the trail runners are generally more flexible.

Enjoy the SHR or whatevery off trail adventure you have planned!

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Right on, thanks Paul.

I’ve been through a lot of shoes in a lot of conditions but Hokas would be new to me. Based on fit/feel trying them on, I think they could work. Main concern right now is finding a shoe that’s comfortable for high miles in mixed terrain. Never thought I’d want as much sole as a Hoka but as I age and get more beat up…

They sound well built. My initial concern is the non-continuous (for lack of a better term?) sole rubber lamination. Seeing exposed foam worries me; I’d like continuous rubber better. But I haven’t heard about delamination issues and I know they have an ultra reputation…

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

I love my Speedgoats on trail, but they do leave something to be desired off-trail. I do lots of off-trail here on the Colorado plateau and often the SG just doesn’t inspire confidence, especially on some the the steeper stuff. Side-hilling is bit sketchy and the exposed foam does get beat up, but I don’t think I’m using them for what there were designed to do. On the positive side, they are very grippy and have held up well to the abuse I give them. I too can’t find a La Sportiva model that fits me.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

I have used the SG’s for a couple of hundred miles on my local mountain. The trail is like sierra talus in many areas, and can get very steep as well. The stack height has been a noticeable stability problem for me.

My Topo Ultraventures perform really well, and I have all but given up on finding a pair of La Sportivas that fit.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

La Sportiva needs to get with it. I know tons of people that lovingly fondle their shoes…but can’t get them to fit their feet.

Lowell k
    BPL Member

@drk

Sizeism is alive and well

#widefootdescrimination

haha

Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

I haven’t had a problems with delamination. The weak link for me has been the upper, particularly off trail. While I hadn’t had any failures or toes popping out with out, I have had some minor rips.

Agree on La Sportiva fit, they can be narrow (around the wide part of the forefoot for me).

George W
    BPL Member

@ondarvr

I really like my La Sportivas, but I can’t wear them for long before they get uncomfortable from being too narrow.

My shoe choice, after going through many brands, styles and options has come down to Altra LP wides. Not because I think they’re great, it’s that so far they’re the only shoe that fits my wide feet for more than half a day. Since they fit well enough, or at least better than anything else I’ve tried to this point, I just put up with the sloppy and uninspiring feel on anything but a good trail.

I thought the Hoka SGs wides were going to work, but after two days on part of the AZT they just weren’t wide enough.

Topo Ultraventures and Teraventures felt better off trail and I had high hopes, but even the wides weren’t wide enough.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

You might want to check out Inov8 shoes if you can find them.  The Roclite series has a couple of potential candidates, the G 275 and the 310.  I used Roclites for years, until the bottoms of my feet wore out and I needed more cushioning.  They were my all time favorite brand, for weight, durability and grip on Sierra granite.  I haven’t used them in years, but maybe at least worth checking out?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I haven’t had a problems with delamination.

Good to know. Uppers, I can manage.

No go on Altra as I’m looking for some heel/toe drop (I’ve had 3 pairs of Lone Peaks. Fast forward: years of zero drop wrecked both of my Achilles and I’ve get pretty bad bouts of insertional tendinitis coupled with/Haglund’s deformity. I look for no less than 4mm drop- Hokas are pushing it- so I can add lifts and get around 10mm)

I’ve had some Inov8s Tom, super responsive for technical stuff. But like you, found them ultimately a little lacking in cushion/protection. I need more these days.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@commonloon

I think the Brooks Cascadia’s have a bigger drop. You might also check them out (try-on/test).

Chris K
    BPL Member

@cmkannen-2-2

I’ve got about 40 miles of running and hiking on the Speedgoat 5 and I can say with confidence they are GREAT on trail, and below average off trail / cross country.

I wandered around some prairie badlands earlier this week with a lot of awkward, off-camber type stuff. The high stack + flexible upper was a problem in this scenario. They felt too tippy and loose.

The mesh uppers were bested by several cacti.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

The cascadias have 10mm drop. I’ve been wearing them off and on trail for a decade and they’ve been great shoes in all conditions. The newest have increase stack, not to Hoks levels but maybe 3mm vs older models.  I haven’t had them out yet so can’t say if they hit a sweet spot with both a rock plate and a medium stack.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

The La Sportiva Tx3 and TX4 are superb for cross country long miles. They have a much different last than most La Sportiva shoes.

I never could fit La Sportivas until I tried their TX lineup. They are not super wide, but just wide enough for wider feet looking at technical shoes.

High stack shoes can be a literal pain for side hilling and many other XC types of stuff. TX3/4 shoes are pretty good in comparison.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools