Topic

Hoka One One Stinson ATR Shoe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hoka One One Stinson ATR Shoe

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Locale: So Cal

Contemplating trying a pair of Hoka Stinson ATR shoes. As I’ve become older I prefer a more cushioned shoe to absorbed more of the pounding from my knees. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

They are  an extremely cushioned shoe. They are also extremely tall. My old and well travelled feet love the cushion. My problem with them for hiking or running on narrow trails is that they are too wide in the mid and outsole. The outside edge too often catches and throws your foot in. The width I’m sure is to provide stability for the high stack height. Years ago Nike made a shoe called the LDV with an equally wide outsole. They were taken aback when they found out their sponsored runners were taking a knife to them to cut off the excessive material to make them narrower, but it worked! I’ve thought about trying the same with these. Speedgoats have less cushion but I  prefer them because they are narrower and seem to allow for more sure footedness.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Thank you for the information regarding the Speedgoats. I’ll try them on both side by side and see which I prefer…..even though they may not have as much cushion as the Stinson I’m sure they have more than enough – seems to be what Hoka is known for.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

My partner loves his. He keeps asking me to buy him more pairs for his birthday and Christmas. He’s 70 and has flat, narrow feet.

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

I wear the Hoka Challenger ATR 5’s and love them. Great grip, wide toebox and good support for my aging feet.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

Received a pair of each (Stinson and Speedgoat) and though both are comfortable find I like the Stinson better. They’ll get a break in this week and a two night hike to Cottonwood Lakes (Inyo National Forest) later in the week.

Thank you again for the feedback. Cheers.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Enjoy the shoes and the hike.

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I walked around for hours at REI with some Hokas on. They felt great on the concrete floor. When I tried them on a trail I almost fell off them. Not for me. Too much chance of turning an ankle.

The salesperson said you either love them or hate them. Me, great for standing around the store, terrible on the trail.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Do you have wide feet?  If so you might like it, if not maybe the speed goat is better.  I hiked about half of Oregon in a pair of Stinson ATR 4 (The current version is 6).  I found them very comfortable.  I did not find them less stable than Altra Olympus (another tall shoe).  They are a little less stable than Altra LonePeaks.  It’s not too different but maybe for some that’s enough of a turn off?  I didn’t mind at all.  They also have an noticeable rocker.  This in theory helps with achilles issues and other foot problems.  I like this fact, some don’t.

I think the wide sole of the shoe helps counter the height.  For me, the wide sole also protects my feet.  My feet are so wide that on most shoes my mid foot sticks out beyond the edge of the shoe very slightly.  This makes it prone to hitting rocks.  This never happens on the Stinson.

The one problem I had with them, was that a good portion of the tread was gone by the time I hiked half of Oregon.  I think had I completed the Oregon hike, the shoe would have been done.  I don’t know if they fixed this in the ATR 6, I think not, because they are still not vibram soles.  Anyway, they are my shoes of choice, better than the Altra Olympus in my opinion.

Turley
    BPL Member

@turley

@poledancer: I do not have wide feet but like a roomier footbox that the Stinson seems to provide. I used LaSportive Lynx (precursor to the Raptor) and Ultra Raptors for years and especially liked them when living in the PNW where most of my trips were in the Olympics. Since relocating to SoCal a few years ago the Ultra Raptors don’t seem to wear well as the traction nobs on the bottom tear off quickly on all the granite surfaces so was hoping the Stinson to be more durable….guess we will see. Thank you :-)

Randy Cain
    BPL Member

@bagboy

Locale: Fresno, CA

I’ve had some plantar fasciitis issues, and Hokas have changed my world!!  I literally threw all my other shoes away.  This past year I wore the Stinson ATRs in the High Sierra on 3 trips of 4-5 days each.  At least half of my time was off trail on some pretty rugged stuff.  The shoes were extremely comfy AND stable.  At no point did I experience instability while side-hilling.  Impressive!!  The only problem was that the sole wore quickly, and by the end of the 3rd trip, it was pretty much toast.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools