Topic

HMG Pods: help with size decision

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion HMG Pods: help with size decision

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

I’ve the 70L Porter HMG pack and am looking at the pods currently price reduced. Trying to decide whether to go with the large or small or combo of both. Difference is 2 inches in height, abt 4L in volume.

Can anyone shed info on their pod pack list and size they prefer?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Many people use the large pod for water-resistant storage of a sleeping bag or quilt, plus pillow and sleeping clothes. Obviously that depends on the semi-compressed volume of your stuff. Zippers don’t like stress, so don’t plan on squeezing too much inside.

I’ve gone back and forth on buying a large pod for my sleeping bag. Currently I’m “no”, since I like letting the bag expand inside my pack as food volume drops.

Some take the large pod for food storage, using the outside loop tabs for bear hangs as needed.

I’m using the small HMG pod to gather up all the smaller pieces of gear that used to float (or sink) inside my pack. Much easier to find stuff now, especially when I get to camp. Just pull out the pod, toss it in the tent, and with the clamshell zipper design and white fabric everything’s easier to find and put back again the next morning. Definitely a tradeoff between convenience vs. weight and cost.

Small pods can be used for extra clothing, cook kits, etc. I don’t need extreme organization, especially when it adds weight and serious cost.

For small pods, consider the much cheaper, more colorful, slightly lighter, but less waterproof Six Moon Designs Pack Pods.

— Rex

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools