Topic

HMG Packing Pods in Ospery Exos?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion HMG Packing Pods in Ospery Exos?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Curious if anyone has tried the HMG Packing Pods in the Osprey exos 58?

Thanks

Scotty

Nathan Luckenbill
    BPL Member

@whodang

Scott, did you ever figure this out? Wondering the same.

Christopher S
    BPL Member

@chrisisinclair

Arent they just zippered fancy stuff sacks? I doubt they are seam sealed and a water resistant zipper certainly isnt really waterproof. Not sure why you would want these instead of a simple roll top stuff sack instead which is likely lighter and more reliable and cheaper

Nate
    BPL Member

@npfet

Wondering the same as well…

matthew k

@matthewkphx

Speculation here since I don’t use pods but I believe the advantages are the large opening and the shape that matches HMG packs. I’ll admit it does look handy to unzip and have the contents all laid out and accessible.

Their site says they are fully taped and that the zipper is water-resistant. The zip makes me think they make more sense in a pack that is waterproof or near waterprooof.

HYOH/YMMV/Just my $.02

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Locale: California

Love my HMG pods. Compared to stuff sacks, they are much easier to pack, search, and unpack, but very expensive. SMD Packing Pods are a good second choice and a lot less expensive, but not as water resistant. Key feature of both is the “flap” zipper opening, not “around the sides” on other designs.

Just based on exterior Osprey dimensions, the HMG pods and the SMD Packing Pods should fit just fine horizontally, or any other orientation. I have both for different uses and different packs. Precise pack-pod fit isn’t critical.

My HMG pack is already very water resistant – “rainproof” in my experience. The HMG pods add more resistance. But I keep my sleeping bag in a turkey bag or nylofume bag, not a pod. Nothing short of a Pelican box or similar will keep gear dry during prolonged submersion – BTDT.

Do you need pods? That’s up to you.

— Rex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!