Topic

HMG 4400. Who to trust on carrying capacity? Alternatives?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG 4400. Who to trust on carrying capacity? Alternatives?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

I’ve recently learned about Hyperlite Mountain Gear products and found some really interesting products (those pods look amazing, can’t believe nobody else makes them?). Since then, I’ve been reading up on reviews and noticed some features being consistently listed as negative(hip pockets). The “problem” is that I don’t know who to trust on carrying capacity. Reviews vary from 25 to 50 lbs, but many of them are quite old. Have HMG updated their packs in recent years maybe?

I currently carry a Bergans Helium 55L at 1,1 kg (2,5 pounds) and have a Zpacks Arc Zip on the way for the wife. The reason I’m interested in this HMG 4400 is its size.  Almost 80 liters at 1 kg is pretty awesome for backpacking with our future 3rd family member when I will have to carry all the gear. Also, I plan on building my own packraft which will need a bit more packing capacity. Are there any competitors out there in the same weight range? Most lightweight packs seem to top out at around 60 liters including external pockets, and much less internal capacity.

Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

I have carried more than 60 pounds in a 4400 pack comfortably. I am sure there are more comfortable packs but this one more than adequately carried the load for 11 days through 200 kilometers of boreal forest.  Do not doubt its ability to carry a heavy load.

Derrick

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

It depends on what you want: light weight, large capacity, durability, overall comfort, etc. I personally believe there is little use for a large pack. I fit everything into a 35L (~2200ci) GG Murmur for trips up to two weeks. If you wish to do hunting, expedition style packing (two months or longer) hauling a pack raft, hauling baby gear, etc, then sure, a larger pack makes sense. Ultimately, you will likely have several packs of various sizes. There is no shame in carrying a heavy pack if you need it. I draw the line at 30lbs myself…my baby gear and days of being the “mule” were done 35 years ago.

I am quite a supporter of dual purpose gear. The biggest reason is weight. I want to be able to use my pad as cushion in my pack and support my pack. Rather obvious, you cannot use a single piece of gear for two purposes, simultaneously. So, you have to decide if purposes are indeed independent. Anyway… The HMG packs do not allow this. For example: just tying a pad to the back is not the same as having pad keeper pockets to prevent buckling/collapse. It also effects volume requirements. Having to carry a pad internally will reduce the pack volume by around 300ci.

Cuban (DCF) has poor abrasion resistance. So, it is typically laminated with “other” fabrics to improve this (nylon, poly, etc.) This results in an overall weight increase that is a LOT more than, say silnylon. Some is heavier than XPack cloth. While most manufacturers say it doesn’t really matter, my old pack (3300ci) was mostly silnylon, weighs around 15oz, and is over 10 years old and is still used for two or three week trips where I also carry fishing and photography gear. I believe the HMG 4400 is over two pounds (~2.2pounds for the Windrider.) Anyway, for the overall return on your investment, I would say that it is a good purchase to add to your stable. If you are not in any particular hurry, ie you do not have a child nor a pack raft, you might consider going from a 55L pack to a 40L. You will likely get more use out of say a HMG 2400 Southwest this year than a 4400.

Thomas E
    Spectator

@nimrad

Locale: Norway

Thank you for your thoughts James. You are right that packrafting and bringing baby/child gear is in the future, but I already have ordered myself a smaller/lighter pack that actually just shipped (zpacks arc zip). The reason for this post is just to plan ahead as I just recently discovered this large but lightweight pack. It will fill several needs I have for larger sizes both now and in the future (hiking with children, packrafting, winter camping with wife = high volume gear). My current 70L is an old school pack at 2,4 kg.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I suggest the Seek Outside Unaweep 4800 or Divide as an alternative pack.  The Seek Outside packs carry weight about as well as you wil find anywhere.

The HMG Porter is an interesting pack but could be improved with a better hip belt (some people have HMG customize them for ULA belts), hipbelt pockets, better modular water bottle pockets (not an issue if you don’t use bottles or buy the Zimmerbuilt pockets), and add load lifters.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools