Topic

HMG 3500 – Tune it or not for me?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HMG 3500 – Tune it or not for me?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Locale: Portland, OR

Picked up a Southwest pack during the black Friday sale. Have been testing around the neighborhood with a 40 lb load of waterbottles and sleeping pads. No matter how I pack it, I get a big lump right between the shoulder blades. It seems to me that the stays push out (in toward back), as the pack rounds. A) this is uncomfortable, B) it adds to the feeling of my shoulders being pulled back.

I’ve used a ULA Circuit, successfully, for years, and am well acquainted with how to pack an internal frame pack w/ light backpanel.

Am I missing something? I want to be an HMG wearing badass like all the Alaska guys :-) But perhaps the HMG is not for me?

PS 40 lbs is not standard weight, but I need it to be able to carry that decently (desert water, summer family gear, extra winter gear) to justify the purchase.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

This picture kinda shows how the stays come out while the rest of the back rounds away. Also, meant waterbottles and sleeping bags. To try to get decent shape, padding, weight distribution. I actually think it would be harder to pack my standard gear. 

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

FWIW, the Hanchor Marl pack is a similar design but has a horizontal stay there so it avoids the pack barrelling like this. It also has solid fabric side pockets like the southwest and Hanchor will do a solid fabric front pocket if you want. And the price is probably the same as what you paid for the HMG.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have the same pack and have never had an issue with this, nor noticed it.  I do think 40 lbs is at the upper limit of this design though, if not past it.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Thanks guys. @Dan, how’s build quality on the Marl? @Wisner, what are the use cases where you use ful volume of the pack without approaching 40lb? Thanks!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

John: Build quality is easily as good as HMG. I think it’s noticeably higher. Read any reviews of the Hanchor packs and you’ll see praise on the build quality.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

If it’s summer in the Sierra, my base weight is around 10-12 pounds,  including the pack.  The volume comes from a large bear canister.  I still have room to spare, but I’d rather have it than not.

Winter it comes from a higher volume sleeping bag (WM Antelope) and more clothing insulation.

I typically don’t compress my sleeping bags too much, instead stuffing them directly into the bottom to fill volume (inside a trash compactor liner bag). I think packs generally fit better when you fill the volume like this.

Either way, I keep it well under 40 but find that I still like the volume.  Easier to have a roll at the top and some room to spare than not in my book.

The only times I’m ever around 40 with this pack are hunting (additional 7 to 10 pounds for rifle/ammo/binolculars/etc.) or some Desert trips where I’ve carried 8 liters of water.

But for whatever it’s worth, I have very low pack expectations.  Or in other words, I don’t expect all that much comfort, load distribution to hips (I tend to carry on my shoulders), etc.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I had a similar, but slightly different, problem when I first received my HMG Southwest 3400 pack. I was able to alter the bend of the 2 stays to make it far more comfortable. You might try doing that.

John Brown
    Spectator

@johnbrown2005

Thanks guys, super useful info.

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

I’ve experienced similar and why I ended up with the 4440 with the frame sheet.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools